·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On cold mornings (below 40 deg) I get in to start my 2005 Mustang GT
and I tuen the key and all I hear is a lot of clicking noise
(Please click here to hear the sound)
http://www.wieduwilt.us/mustang/Strange Start.AVI
I have to turn the key off then back on, then the car starts.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT with a Dyno SCT Tune, a K&N CAI and a 62mm Billit throttle body

Any Ideas??????

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Sounds like the starter relay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pcfrisch said:
Sounds like the starter relay.
I tried this today, I turn the key and let the clicking complete then I turn the key to start and it works fine. I do not think the clicking is the starter relay because this clicking starts before the engine cranks.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I think it's the starter solenoid.

TAKE IT IN FOR WARRANTY!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
J&D said:
Yeah, like not enough cranking amps.
I don't think it's the battery, if that were true, the starter would not crank as well as it does. It's got to be either the solenoid/relay or a crummy or loose connection along that line.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yea, like we forgot the genius asked for help. You stated you get a clanking noise on a cold morning when attempting to start. Then you release the key and attempt to crank again..... then it starts.

You live in the frozen tundra, next to heat, cold is the biggest killer of batteries. So unless you have been in there tinkering or aren't telling us everything, I would discount a loose connection. But no doubt, that will be the problem, NOW.

For various reason's, what you are describing is exacty what a battery does.

So instead of poo-pooing everybody's attempts at helping you, why don't you go get it checked and spare us.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
To me it does not sound like the fast clicking you would hear associated with a weak battery, not to mention the engine turns fast once the starter is engaged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
redbullet said:
Yea, like we forgot the genius asked for help. You stated you get a clanking noise on a cold morning when attempting to start. Then you release the key and attempt to crank again..... then it starts.

You live in the frozen tundra, next to heat, cold is the biggest killer of batteries. So unless you have been in there tinkering or aren't telling us everything, I would discount a loose connection. But no doubt, that will be the problem, NOW.

For various reason's, what you are describing is exacty what a battery does.

So instead of poo-pooing everybody's attempts at helping you, why don't you go get it checked and spare us.
REDBULLIT, I had the battery checked and it's fine, Where on the thread have I poo-pooed any of your help? Show me, why are you attacking me, I hope your treatment here does not reflect the rest of the fine people on this forum.

ding ding ding ding Waxed'05 GT is correct

Ok it seems the clicking noise is the throttle motor caused by my Aftermarket 62 MM TB not seating right. The engine started throwing codes (P2112 and P2104) I used the SCT tuner to see the codes but could not diagnose so, as soon as I replace the TB back to stock, the noise went away. Go Figure... I think the Aluminum, when it get cold it somehow warps and causes the thing to go out of adjustment:shrug ?

Thanks for all your help, :worship GMS (the makers of the TB) are looking into why the TB is acting this way, they have never heard of any issues with there product.

Any Idea what these codes are "P2112 and P2104"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked all the codes I was getting and here they are.

P2104Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle
P2105Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Engine Shutdown
P2110Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited RPM
P2111Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open
P2112Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Closed

Apperantly the Throttle Actuator was flipping open and closed making the clicking noise, the cause is still unknown

This is what you will get on a DynoTuned Car with an Aftermarket Throttle Body. I recommend that only Supercharged cars get an Aftermarket TB because it does nothing for a N/A car but give you trouble

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Glad you got it worked out :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts