Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i had posted a couple days ago about the starter relay, and the car trying to start itself after running and even when i would take the key out. so i have replaced the relay the starter and the ignition switch under the dash of my 79 mustang. now the car starts fine and doesnt try to start itself but i have a eiry noise that scares the crap out of me. YouTube - strange noise coming from mustang

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you think that ticking after the initial start sounds like a exhaust leak? when i got out while running it was definitaly coming from the cyl 3-4 area. after about 30 seconds i did start to see alittle smoke. but couldnt really pinpoint where it was from (seen it coming threw hood scoop when hood was closed. i had shifted it into gear and it moved a little (was running in gear at about 300 rpm when normally its around 750) but i had tried that on a later start up and the trans was unresponsive. i did remove and reistall the header last night so exhaust leak is a possibilty but could that also cause the knocking and the low rpm along with the inability to engage the trans?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Exhaust leaks are tricky. They can sound metallic sounding.

What do you mean the tranny is unresponsive?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill check the header gasket tomorrow. by unresponsive i mean i would shift it into reverse or drive and get no movement. this was new since i had done the same task only minutes before and it moved in reverse and i knew it wasnt just gravity doing the work for me cuz the rpm's dropped about 250 once i got into gear. i know with a automatic you need vaccum to operate the trans and i was wondering if there is a link between a exhaust leak and loss in vaccum pressure. also since this noise is primarily at the cyl 3-4 location could haveing the slightest bit of dialectric grease on the spark plug cause a misfire along with all these other fantasic problems?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.