Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased some Strange Engineering front struts for my 2000 GT, and was told on another forum that these struts are designed for drag racing strip use, and not so much for street handling. Apparently they aren't any better than the stock struts for the street, is this true?

I am looking for something that will help my mustang handle a lot better on regular streets, as well as in road-course type driving. I do not care for drag strip performance type handling.

I also have a set of QA1 rear shocks, and an Eibach prokit which I may be replacing with H&R SS springs.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
No first hand experience with Strange struts or shocks, but just browsed their catalog and seem to be a better than OEM replacement. Lets see if someone has some input.

Now, the QA1 are mostly for drag racing and circle track, that is a fact.

As for the springs, i would use linear rate springs, HR springs are mostly progressive. Many people like them, but in my experience Linear rate springs offer more control, more exactly, predictability.

If you plan on doing road course, slalom, etc at your local track, my advice would be a complete different approach and selection of parts.

It will all depend on the class you will be in, each class has its rules so plan ahead.

There are several basic issues with the mustang suspension you need to fix, and will get great results if you do.

1. Stock bushings in the Mustang suspension are rubber, and they act like additional "springs". For comfort they are fine but they allow for a lot of suspension movement. Starting with the front suspension i will advice to get urethane bushings for your lower arms, CC plates to align the front end and urethane bushings for the steering rack. Plus shorter sway bar end links to fix the relationship of the sway bar to the lower arm which is affected on lowered mustangs.
You should not drop it more than 1.5 inches, so choose the springs with care.

2. At the rear replace your lower control arms, i would recommend Maximum Motorsports or Steeda LCAs and keep the stock uppers in place.

Read this thread for more info:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/212925-late-model-mustang-suspension-explained.html

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I recently purchased some Strange Engineering front struts for my 2000 GT, and was told on another forum that these struts are designed for drag racing strip use, and not so much for street handling. Apparently they aren't any better than the stock struts for the street, is this true?

I am looking for something that will help my mustang handle a lot better on regular streets, as well as in road-course type driving. I do not care for drag strip performance type handling.

I also have a set of QA1 rear shocks, and an Eibach prokit which I may be replacing with H&R SS springs.

I also answered this on Stangnet, or wherever else it was that you posted this.... but for the benefit of those reading this on AFM, I ran the Strange 10-ways on my '04 GT with Eibach Pro Kit springs and it handled quite well for a street car. Plus the adjustability was nice. Stiff for the corners and soft for the launch.

Of course, we carry the Strange 10-ways in stock at UPR Products and forum members get 10% off on our web store with the AFM coupon code.

As for the control arms, we recommend replacing the lowers AND uppers with tubular chrome moly control arms (the strongest construction) with polyurethane bushings. (the best mix of improved handling with reasonable NVH)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts