Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a pretty long straight road today and thought i would just floor it for a bit b/c i havent in a while. Well i get to the beginning, throw it in reverse to get maximum distance, and quickly throw it back into drive and the engine just died like stalling out in a manual. I shifted into park and tried to start it immediately but it wouldnt turn over for about 5 seconds. I dont understand what happened. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
05 SatinSylvia said:
I found a pretty long straight road today and thought i would just floor it for a bit b/c i havent in a while. Well i get to the beginning, throw it in reverse to get maximum distance, and quickly throw it back into drive and the engine just died like stalling out in a manual. I shifted into park and tried to start it immediately but it wouldnt turn over for about 5 seconds. I dont understand what happened. Can anyone help?
I don't know about the auto's but that happened to me with a manual, I have read that the fuel shuts off so you don't over rev the engine.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Umm...throw it in reverse??!! What am I missing ? Were you stopped at the time? Doesn't that make the trans jump out from under the car in an auto??!!:eyebulge:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Did you do complete stops?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sounds like you hit the 6000 RPM rev limiter....which killed the gas.....If you had a stick...pushing in the clutch would have stopped the stall out.
My advice is: Don't abuse the transmission like that and it won't happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts