Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed some Eibachs on my 99 GT convert. and now I have this rattle in the frontend every time I go over a bump or pothole I have looked at everything(I think) and can not find this rattle, it's going to drive me nuts, the springs lowered the car approx. 1 1/2", old shocks, new camber plates, level sway bar, stock rims. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!:help:

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Isolators?

Lots of folks install front end springs without the rubber isolators (2 pieces - one that threads on the coil of the spring, and another that cups up over the top). Without these, you run the risk of noise (though you also lower the car another 1/4" or so). If you didn't reuse your old ones (or preferably, replace them with new items), this could be a source of noise. If you used polyurethane bushings anywhere in the install, the must be well-lubed during assembly, or you have a noise maker guaranteed.

A "rattle" versus a "squeal or squeak" implies something that was left loose, or a bolt that worked loose. Double check the torque on all the fasteners, including your strut tower, brakes and spindles. Additionally, see if you dropped a nut or bolt into the k or a arms, where it can bounce around and make noise, or maybe on top of the steering rack. As a final item, check to see if one of the oe struts has given up the ghost - they'll be leaking, and they can rattle around if they fail. The new ride height may have put just the extra bit of stress on them to make them go away.

If none of this works, take it back to the shop that did the alignment (you MUST get an alignment after replacing springs) and see if they can spot the problem. Sometimes it just needs a fresh and experienced ear/eye to solve a simple noise maker.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.