Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the noise is when you turn off the engine?
It sounds like a jet engine winding down.
Thanks.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Tried to think of some silly answer, but I am too tired. :rolleyes: Anyway, that is more than likely the electric cooling fan spinning down after your hard workout. :wavey

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it's really quiet it's probably the fuel guage etc winding down... scared me the first time I heard it. If it's louder, I'd guess fan

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's the turbine compressor from the ramjet spooling down. Lol. I have noticed it as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I believe the sound maybe coming from the alternator pulley when the engine is shut down.
The alternator has a clutch style pulley at keep the belt from being thrown after a hard run. Because the alt's. are larger Ford found that a clutch style pulley was needed to keep from throwning the "fan" belt. I have heard this same thing on my 2005 Police units that use the same pulley when they shut down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fuel pump wind down, maybe. Happens on a few m/c's friends own. With the new high-pressurized injections systems it's more noticeable.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I hear something like this. I thought it was just the fan winding down after you turn the motor off. Unless I do have an F-18 engine in mine! Yeahhhh.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Zrullac said:
It's the turbine compressor from the ramjet spooling down. Lol. I have noticed it as well.
LOL...I thought it was the main rotor blades up top still spinning after turbine shutdown. Usually the tailrotor stops first on mine but the main rotor takes a few minutes to stop. If I pull some up on the collective to increase the angle of incidence on the rotor blades it will stop quicker. I haven't tried an autorotation landing yet to see if that helps. Your results may vary! :D

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew I would get those answers :eyebulge:

Actually it sounds like the Batmobile shutting down.
Mabe it's the flux capacitor discharging.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I knew I would get those answers :eyebulge:

Actually it sounds like the Batmobile shutting down.
Mabe it's the flux capacitor discharging.
That's it exactly … Batmobile sound! The "Wayne Manor" has burnt down :eyebulge: did the caped crusaders ride make it out?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I really wanted to add something smart-aleky here, but it is too early to post something as original as Stoopy's answer. Maybe later I'll have better luck.

And the answer is:
It's your fan for the heater/defroster. (turn it off and then shut down your car and the infamous jet turbine sound is gone).

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
junior said:
I really wanted to add something smart-aleky here, but it is too early to post something as original as Stoopy's answer. Maybe later I'll have better luck.

And the answer is:
It's your fan for the heater/defroster. (turn it off and then shut down your car and the infamous jet turbine sound is gone).
OK, I tried that, still get the turbo winding down sound, I must have got the turbo option without even knowing it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
pcfrisch said:
OK, I tried that, still get the turbo winding down sound, I must have got the turbo option without even knowing it.
Did you finally get a 2005 or do you have a 2006. Maybe the 06's have the fan running all of the time :?:

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
junior said:
Did you finally get a 2005 or do you have a 2006. Maybe the 06's have the fan running all of the time :?:
It's an 06, I guess I can open the hood and then shut it down. But I think you are right about the fan.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's the electric cooling fan in the engine compartment. You probably won't hear it much longer as the weather cools off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts