Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm gasing it and go about 3k rpms there is sometimes a weird type sound. Any ideas what it is? Could it be my exhaust or most likely my engine?

·
Registered
613 Posts
When I'm gasing it and go about 3k rpms there is sometimes a weird type sound. Any ideas what it is? Could it be my exhaust or most likely my engine?
Can you describe what kind of sound other than it is weird? What is going on? Ping, bang, knock, metal?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the hard part, I cannot describe it. I'll take it on the highway tonight on the way to work and try to come up with words. I've been reading around and I hope its not detonation. I don't know what would even cause the sound except maybe the exhaust it rattling under my car at high rpms?

R

·
0 Posts
Does it sound like ice being dropped into the bottom of a deep glass?
A ping, clank, womp, grind, scrap? You got to give us something.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
what area of the car is it coming from; trunk, engine bay, RR, LR, RF, LF, etc...
could be your TOB rattling.

if you cant describe the sound, upload a clip of it, and we'll try to help you out:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys on the way to work it did it. It sounds like a crackel sound( yes, kind of like ice in a glass). It only does it above 3k rpms like when accelerating on the highway. Also I think it only does it when its hot out because on the way home it was cool out and I was driving on it hard and could not make the sound. Any ideas?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and I cannot find where its coming from I think the engine but not sure of it

R

·
0 Posts
Mine does the exact some thing.
It seems to do it from 2500-3500RPMs under load. Just reving up the engine in neutral does not produce the sound.
Me and my dad have been looking into it for a couple of months. We have not been able to nail it down.
I'll keep you guys updated if anythings comes up with it.

In the mean time check your spark plugs and wires. Make sure they are in good shape. Mine were really bad. Changing them help some with the sound.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine doesn't make the sound when revving either. Do you think it's a serious problem?

R

·
0 Posts
Mine has been doing it since I got it and who know how long before. I have put 8K miles on it and (knock on wood) nothing has gone wrong. I still have full power, no misses, smooth idle and no other issues.
We think it is something to do with the timing. I will be getting a tuner in a month or so. We'll see if that changes anything. In the mean time, I am not worried about it.
Also, 99% sure it is not the clutch. My car had a new one put in 15K miles ago.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me know if the tune changed it at all :bigthumbsup Sounds really annoying

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm bumping this thread because it still does it :(

Any other ideas on what it could be?

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry, I had forgot about this thread!
I now have my car tuned with an SCT SF3. I changed from the stock tune to a 91+ tune and the sound is gone. I ran a full tank of 91 through it before putting the tune on so I have pure 91 in the tank.
I seems as if the sound is the engine pinging due to timing. This could be due to poor fuel. Try filling up at a good station like Chevron and see if that helps (California gas sucks as it is).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot redlyr I was thinking about you when I noticed the sound again and bumped the thread to see if you would reply knowing what it was :shigrin

did you notice a big power gain with a 91 octane tune?

R

·
0 Posts
With the tune there is a lot of difference. It is not a huge increase in power, maybe 10-15hp, but you can feel it. The throttle response is much better now and the car pulls hard when you put your foot into it. Before I would stand on it and it would takes its sweet time reving up and finally get into the powerband. Now it, picks up a lot faster from lower RPMs and it just feels smoother when really jamming it.
I assume my gas mileage has gotten better, I just can't keep my foot out of it for a full take to notice! :shigrin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.