Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Mustang GT. When i press the center console button to open the trunk, it will release the trunk but in the process I hear this 2-3 second buzzing noise. Is that normal? When i try to close the trunk after this, occasionally it will not close properly (just bounces back up, like the lock is already engaged). In this scenario, I have to press the center console button once again, and then the trunk is able to close correctly.

Sometimes when I press the center console button, I don't hear the long buzzing -- there is only a quick sound of the lock being released. And the trunk closes properly again.

Also, my remote key fob is either not able to open my trunk, or I am not using it correctly. I press the trunk release button twice, nothing happens. Then i long press the button, nothing happens. But the odd time i long press the button, the trunk unlocks but with that 2-3 second buzzing sound and then i can't close the trunk until i press the center console button once.

Has anyone ever had or heard of this problem? Hopefully i am just doing something wrong, but i didn't expect it to be this complicated.

·
Super Moderator
2,438 Posts
I have a 2011 GT and I spray my locking and un locking lock with a silicon spray,mine works like it should,might just be sticking or some dirt got in it,also try and blow that area out with some compressed air.Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Thank someone for small favors. At least you have a trunk button. I had to install one on my 2006. You had to use your key FOB for that model year. Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
This trunk latch buzzing thing is a known issue. I had it on my 2010, and I had the latch mechanism replaced by the dealer under warranty. Even though your warranty has long since expired, I think a dealer still might be the best choice for this repair. I think there might be a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about it, but not sure.

I'm pretty sure there are a few existing threads on this, try "Search Community" in the top center if you want to read them.

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,442 Posts
It sounds to me like the latch actuator is failing. Sometimes it will work properly and other times it doesn't hence the 2-3 sec buzzing sound and failure to be able to close the trunk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
jollyjoe,

I have the same problem with my 2011 (same body style). The problem is the foam seal is sticking to the underside of the trunk. It is worse after the seal has been wet. The springiness of the seal is supposed to allow the locking loop to clear the latch mechanism. If the seal sticks, the latch mechanism buzzes against the metal loop because the trunk doesn't open enough to clear. Sometimes my locking mechanism will stick in the locked position after doing this, and I will have to push the trunk open button (either on my remote or on the console) to get it to open up so that the trunk will close.

So far, I have had no long-term ill effects (other than the buzzing noise). But, some silicone seal conditioner might stop it from sticking. Just an idea that I have never followed up on.

As for your key fob, it sounds to me like it might need new batteries. Mine gets intermittent when the batteries get weak.

Professor Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts