Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't fully thought everything through yet, but I want to eventually get to 1000rwhp in my car. Definitely a lofty goal, but doable (I think :). Currently my GT is an auto. Granted I will need to get a new tranny among other things, would a stick be in any way more durable than an auto? Do they make automatic transmission and all the parts in between that can handle that much power? If not, and I do want to stay with an auto, what would be a reasonable goal? If I stick with my car now and along the way I change the parts out that I need like transmission, etc. would it be much more work to turn it in to a manual?

·
Registered
527 Posts
An automatic is a lot more consistent. You don't miss gears, don't have a clutch to deal with off the line, etc. If you are really wanting to get up around 1000 hp you should consider a Lenco transmission.

B
0 Posts
I haven't fully thought everything through yet, but I want to eventually get to 1000rwhp in my car. Definitely a lofty goal, but doable (I think :). Currently my GT is an auto. Granted I will need to get a new tranny among other things, would a stick be in any way more durable than an auto? Do they make automatic transmission and all the parts in between that can handle that much power? If not, and I do want to stay with an auto, what would be a reasonable goal? If I stick with my car now and along the way I change the parts out that I need like transmission, etc. would it be much more work to turn it in to a manual?

Not to change topics but are you planning on driving this thing on the streets? I dont even have half what you are striving to achieve and already I refuse to drive in the rain. I have enough traction issues on a nice day.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I have 1 more year of payments left and then I plan on buying a daily driver. A lot of the work is going to put the Stang out of commission for periods of time and I already went through that once just trying to fix random things on my '94 GT. Not to mention, the more work, you do to it, the more things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you are planning on that much power, your whole car will be changed.Complete driveline, suspension, brakes, etc. That is if you want to do it right.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
If you are planning on that much power, your whole car will be changed.Complete driveline, suspension, brakes, etc. That is if you want to do it right.
Yeah, you nailed it right on the head. I think he realizes that though, as he's asking about the strength of the transmission (hopefully :p).

For a high HP car, auto's are generally the best choice, IMO. Don can definitely help you out on this subject, as high car has about 950 hp with Nitrous to the wheels.

On a STOCK Ford automatic transmission! He had it "built"/reinforced, but man its tough!

·
Registered
812 Posts
only a few trannys will work at 1000hp , but you better have deep pockets if you think your getting that much hp

at that range you better be looking into powerglides or a turbo 400

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, you nailed it right on the head. I think he realizes that though, as he's asking about the strength of the transmission (hopefully :p).

For a high HP car, auto's are generally the best choice, IMO. Don can definitely help you out on this subject, as high car has about 950 hp with Nitrous to the wheels.

On a STOCK Ford automatic transmission! He had it "built"/reinforced, but man its tough!
Hehe yes, I do. Like I said, 1 more year and then it's no longer the daily driver and major work begins. I've been planning and talking to people for a long time and the number one thing people ask me is what's my goal, where do I want to end up and what kind of power do I want to make. So, I decided that 1000HP was my goal and the decisions I make on what things to buy will be based on that.

Anyway, I was under the impression that if I wanted to put that much power to the wheels that I would have to get a manual transission. Not that I cared, just that my car is currently an auto. Sounds like that is ot the case though, which is good to know that I have a choice of staying with an auto transmission or switching it out with a manual as I beef things up. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
633 Posts
keep it a auto mine has nowhere near that hp but i love the fact that if i want to go fast i just smash the gas pedal and thats all and it just takes off like a bat out of hell.high hp or with low gears auto are aweasome stock autos suck.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
You'll need a Turbo 400 most likely. The powerglide is nice but because of the weight of the car you'll need the extra gear of the THR400.

You'll also need a well built T/C or you'll blow through it. Don't even bother with the 9" you'll need a 10".

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'll need a Turbo 400 most likely. The powerglide is nice but because of the weight of the car you'll need the extra gear of the THR400.

You'll also need a well built T/C or you'll blow through it. Don't even bother with the 9" you'll need a 10".
I was wondering about that... the power handling was there on the powerglide but the max weight even on the top end version only went to 2400lbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.