Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, looking for your opinion:
Looking for stripes on my 05 sonic blue- should i get decals or have it painted? I know the advantages of paint but its just so damn expensive and difficult! Does anyone have the decals and do they look good or do they just look like decals? And do they hold or peel? :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Decal issues

I too have the 2005 Sonic Blue and had 9" wide decals put on. I purchased the vinyl roll and the installer had to cut to fit in a best effort approach and due to the compound curves of the hood and roof the gap between the stripe is tapered, I did a 3/4" spacing. so when you are looking right down the middle of the car you will notice a taper. Some suppliers make special kits that compensate for the curve and the decals are tapered to fit properly. The decals will last for several years and do not for the most part peel off. Unless you want them off and then a careful approach with a hair drier is suggested. The factories have been using decals for years. Cheaper and in some cases if the painted stripes are not prepped perfectly you will have much costlier issues down the road.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I had 3m vinyl 10.5" with a 2" gap pewter rally stripes installed proffesionally on mine. No taper on the hood or bumpers.

The installer did have to make a relief cut directly below the over hang on the front bumper to avoid tension/tapering. Unless you're crawling under the bumper you can't see it.

Paid a little extra for the install but they look like paint unless you get down and check for material edges.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would go with the 3m tape. The best reason is when you get tired of the stripe you can take it off in one afternoon. No bill to have it repainted. If yours is painted on you will pay some good money to have it removed. With the 3m you can change the color when your bored and not have a big bill. Just visit you local Graphics shop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
$300 bucks and a lil bit of elbow grease or $2500 bucks for a job thats as good as the decals??? Anyone out there saying that they look cheap or that paint is the only way to go either spent way to much on their paint job or did way to sloppy of a job putting on their decals. Lets also face it you are doing the decals or paint to have a nice looking car that turns heads not to win every car show in your respective state. 3m's product is great and long lasting. One thing that i will disagree with is that its an easy product to take off and switch. Yes you can remove it but unless your car lives its entire life in a uv free world or is garaged for years at a time youll have problems switching out decals. The reason i say this is pretty obvious, paint fades. While the rest of your baby is out there soakin up the sun the paint underneath those stripes is still going to be the same as it was when you put those decals on. so when you pull those puppies off your going to either have a nice reverse ghost stripe look going on or your going to need to put some new decals on and line them up exactly like the old ones were, not an easy thing to do. Anyhow which ever way you go is great, this car is ideal for stripes be it shelby, boss or mach one style, or in my case a combination of mach hood stripes and boss side stripes. So have fun customizing your car and sit back and watch the heads turn!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Im pondering the same question paint vs decal? And I think Im gonna go with the top of the line 3M pre-cut decal. Id love to have paint but its just to pricey and out of my budget. There are a lot of options now with decals and many more to come Im sure. As far as removing the decals there not easy to remove. Mayby the longer there on the harder the are to remove, I have a 94 Ranger STX, It had them factory goofy purple and silver swoops along the whole sides af the truck. they'ed been on there 10 years and started to fade so off they came, there is no paint fading at all, I buffed out the truck and waxed it, looked from side to side in the sun and I cant tell where the decals were. So my mind is made up. Others may have a different outcome though, I wonder If the color of the paint makes a difference on fading?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Vynl is definately better like they said you can just take them off if you don't like them. I don't know where ya'll come from but 1,000 dollars is allot of money. Payed $30 dollars for my vynls and they look outstanding. The roll will be way more than enough to finish the car. I also purchased pinstripes for about $6 dollars and they look good to.

https://home.comcast.net/~dpcharlton1/wsb/media/327397/site1181.JPG

https://home.comcast.net/~dpcharlton1/wsb/media/327397/site1182.JPG

https://home.comcast.net/~dpcharlton1/wsb/media/327397/site1183.JPG

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

Thanks for your opinion, i think ill go with the decals, i have to agree 1000 bucks is a s**tload of money for stripes, you guys just have to much money to blow! Saving for more important stuff lol.

Any of you guys install them? Was wondering if the installer screwed them up :weeps would it be on me to fix or would they do it? Just a thought?

·
Registered
200 Posts
As with any service, you get what you pay for, go with a reputable service ask to see some of his work or at least pictures and last but not least ask if he guarantees his work, you need to know ahead of time if he screws it up that he'll fix it :what:

·
Registered
67 Posts
The vinyl can be stretched to go over curves and such, with a little patience you can put the vinyl on your self and have a nice install. Take your time... and if you mess up pull back slowly and try again. On extreme curves like the one on the front bumper, you will need to make a relief cut.......again take your time and make the cut where no one will notice. Don't over stretch the vinyl......the color will be translusent (sp?) in the area that is over stretched.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got mine from www.rallystripes.com You have about 4 or 5 hours to play with them when you put them on, that's if you use the soapy water. With that, you'll have time to shift the decals on your car. The decals take awhile to adhere

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

Thanks guys, anyone have pics of white decals on sonic blue? Thanks!

:drink: to a good stripe job!

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I paid about $1800 dollars for the painted ones.... @400 for the decals. The vinyl looked horrible going around the back end of the car. If you live in St. Louis go to John's Autobody in Imperial, Mo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I chose to do a vinyl stripe on my Sonic Blue V6.
Unfortunatly I couldn't afford to dish out the $$ to paint in on at this point in time.

I went with a 23" center stripe, a 1inch Gap and 2inch side stripes. 3MM Vinyl...took some effort to get it done, but looks great

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've owned 3 Trans Am's over the years (1 '80 and 2 '79's). I've had my fill of vinyl on a car. I've seen it crack, peel, and cause my hood to rust. My dealership quoted me just under $1,200 for painted stripes and they offer a LIFETIME warranty on the work. To me, the warranty makes it well worth the price. I'm looking at it like any other option I could order with the car. I opted to save a little money by ordering a GT deluxe instead of a premium, and am using that savings toward the cost of the stripes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Crazeehrse said:
I paid about $1800 dollars for the painted ones.... @400 for the decals. The vinyl looked horrible going around the back end of the car. If you live in St. Louis go to John's Autobody in Imperial, Mo.
Thanks for the info. I think your stripes are totally worth the price you paid.
Unfortunately I live in MA, but seen how your car looks, I would definitely go to that place you mentioned, if I'd be living around St. Louis.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Crazeehrse said:
Thanks a bunch for the info! I've been wondering who was reliable in this area when I finally get one. :cooldude:

Car looks great!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts