Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I sure do love my new 06 GT and want to put white Shelby stripes on it. I'm wondering - am I asking for trouble? I really DON'T want to race on the streets (want a supercharger some day for fun though...). I'm pretty much a family guy that enjoys his car... Will I end up with crazy people driving like idiots trying to get me to race? I live near Sacramento,Ca, so there's LOTS of cars and racing folks...
Love to hear if this is going to cause me more trouble than it's worth!

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes and No, you're already in a car that attracts attention :worship . I get it all the time from the kids trying to bait me.....every once in a while I'll give them something to think about. The stripes will get a lot of attention from the younger ones looking to do just that, and it will get a lot of attention from everyone else trying to see what you have. :sterb:

The real question, is it what you want. If yes, then do it. You won't be happy until you do. It's like any other mod we do to these cars...it's mostly because we want it and it fits the car.

Here's mine, I don't have stripes and constantly get challenged, but I'm a little too old to always keep accepting the challenges, and I kind of like the insurance levels low if you know what I mean .

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/JPS51830/MyCar-2.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I can handle kids baiting me, I was just worried about attracting lots of extra grief just because of the stripes. I'm doing the stripes for me, not for anyone else - I just want to enjoy my car. I'm concerned about forking out $1500 more and discovering it would kill the joy I so love with this car...

If you "racers" don't think it will make things a giant headache then I'll start getting ready for those new colors!

Just as an aside - IF I did want to race her someday can I do this with an automatic or is that an "automatic lose" for racing?? (keeping in mind I want to get a supercharger someday as well).

Thanks again!
Joe

·
Registered
244 Posts
albireo said:
Thanks for the reply! I can handle kids baiting me, I was just worried about attracting lots of extra grief just because of the stripes. I'm doing the stripes for me, not for anyone else - I just want to enjoy my car. I'm concerned about forking out $1500 more and discovering it would kill the joy I so love with this car...

If you "racers" don't think it will make things a giant headache then I'll start getting ready for those new colors!

Just as an aside - IF I did want to race her someday can I do this with an automatic or is that an "automatic lose" for racing?? (keeping in mind I want to get a supercharger someday as well).

Thanks again!
Joe
buddy of mine has an automatic 05 gt with the saleen supercharger...he can take out a good chunk of cars on the street, no worries there. do the stripes, youll like it more, the racers will come regardless of stripes or not, theyll rev at u, edge u on, if u bite good for you...if you don't then that's good for you too...i'm scared of cars with racing stripes...

scared ill waste my 1/8 tank of gas smoking them and then regret the gas i wasted and the tire tread i just burnt out...but then again my car has half a race stripe...man I love my Mach 1

·
Registered
861 Posts
So is our plight.

As a wise Mustang owner once told me.

"One you put Money into a Mustang, you're just going to keep putting more money into it. The more money you spend, the more you'll need to spend to maintain it."

Money, Money, Money. The word money should be synonymous with Mustang if you look it up in the Dictionary.

Back to what you were saying. Do what you want! Enjoy your car to the fullest. But think about it this way: 3 years from now when you look at those racing stripes, will you regret them or love them?

You're always going to be baited. Engines will always rev at you, no matter what.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
$1500 for a stripe job?!!! Keep $hopping. Either way, it'll look sweeeeet!
Street racing is a temptation. How have you dealt with other temptations, thus far, in life?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The car is gunna get attention no matter what you do to it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
meangreen92 said:
$1500 for a stripe job?!!! Keep $hopping. Either way, it'll look sweeeeet!
Street racing is a temptation. How have you dealt with other temptations, thus far, in life?
I talked to a body shop owner about striping my 2002. (And he's good -- several members of my local Mustang club take their cars to him.)
He said that if you want gloss stripes, obviously you have to paint it. He paints on the stripes and then hits it with a coat of clear so you can't feel where the stripe meets the paint.
But if you want a matte finish, he says the best way to go is vinyl stripe kits. They go on fairly easy, they look good, and if one gets scratched, you can just peel it off and replace the stripe.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys! I got the price idea from folks over in the lounge. I tried asking in the body and paint area and didn't get one single answer, so I really don't know what price I should really expect...
I do want gloss, so I expect to get a few clear coats applied. I thought about vinyl but they are so much harder to keep clean without chipping, cracking, and peeling - and I'm a daily driver (I keep my car as perfect as I possibly can each day), so I would be constantly washing and wiping...
Maybe I need to check out the local club in town and they could help me get a good place to stripe my GT.
From what I see here it's no different - stripe or no stripe as far as getting nuts trying to challenge you so I'll get the stripes!
Thanks everyone!
Joe

Langod said:
I talked to a body shop owner about striping my 2002. (And he's good -- several members of my local Mustang club take their cars to him.)
He said that if you want gloss stripes, obviously you have to paint it. He paints on the stripes and then hits it with a coat of clear so you can't feel where the stripe meets the paint.
But if you want a matte finish, he says the best way to go is vinyl stripe kits. They go on fairly easy, they look good, and if one gets scratched, you can just peel it off and replace the stripe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.