Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a bit of a dilemma deciding which one to get. Should I get the 331 stroker kit or the 347? This motor is going to be in my daily driver. I want this car to have BALLS and I will also be taking it to the track as much as possible (mostly only weekends that I have extra money). I also want it to be streetable. Is one more reliable than the other? How much of a power difference can I expect from the 2 (if any).

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am also thinking about adding a supercharger also, I am not sure which brand I will get. Im leaning toward vortech and maybe eventually add an intercooler down the road or whatever, but just the V-2 SC kit for now. Does anyone have any experience or preferance? or have any info they can give me?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i would go with the 331.. i hear the 347 has some major oil problems.. so that wouldn't be worth it for the street...and if your going supercharger then a 331 would be fine...and from what i understand you can get a 347 hittin up to around 600 ponies all motor...

·
Registered
141 Posts
it dosent really matter which one u get i just built a 347 and since it is more commmon u get the rotating assembaly for a little cheaper but they have solved the poblem with the 347 burning oil it was just the location of the rings on the piston build which ever u like but imo i would just go 347

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also am kinda in the same boat as you. I have read that its not worth the trouble of building a 331 for the reason of making more power with a 347 and the cost is also about the same.

I may have misunderstood but from what I have read high horse forced induction motors are better not stroked simply because there is les stress on the crank. On a 347 or 331 the skirts of the pistons come out of the cyl. Under heavy driving this could lead to bad news if anything gives..
Maybe I am taking this out of context but I personaly would rather be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I guess I will be going with the 347 then. Brendin, did you build the 347 for your own car? Have you installed it yet? If so, how do you like it? Is there a big difference in power compared to the stocker?

·
Registered
141 Posts
the motor isnt in the car yet but i spent lots of money on my head i went and bought the afr 185 cc and i got a good cam and so on and i will probly be puttin down roughly 400rwhp which i think is quiet a change from stock lol

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brendin said:
the motor isnt in the car yet but i spent lots of money on my head i went and bought the afr 185 cc and i got a good cam and so on and i will probly be puttin down roughly 400rwhp which i think is quiet a change from stock lol
Yes it is... haha. Well I am most likely going to be getting my TFS Twisted Wedge heads ported and polished along with the TFS lower intake. So I think I'll have a nice amount of power also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello, I have the 347. And i didn't know about the oil buring issue. Mine is a daily driver and I'M IN LOVE. I had a buddy following me when i took off hard from light too light, well i got too 5500 in third and the light turned yellow so i let off at 5500 and he was impressed that at that rpm going from wot to letting off without pushing in clutch and he said that there was no smoke when i took off or let off. Pretty impresive huh. I have solid Idle, and mild intake setup for daily driver use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.