Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 66 Fastback that i want to drop a 347 Stroker motor in it. I've been told that the engine life is very short on these strokers. Is that true? if so how long????

·
Registered
268 Posts
It depends on how hard you run it. It could be 100 miles or 100k miles. Or even way more. The cylinder walls on the 347s tend to wear out a little faster than the 331s due to the extra side load of the pistons on the walls. Are you looking to build it for a daily driver or for a track car?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Go with a 331. The rod ratio (cylinder side wear) is very close to a stock 302. Longevity will be assured along with considerable extra torque and horsepower.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Hi,

When I built my engine 3 years ago, I was faced with the same thoughts ( 331 vs 347). I too, didn't like what I was learning about the rod ratio (longevity issues) or, in the case of the long rod version, the fact the the oil ring protruded into the wrist pin opening. I later learned a "short rod" version mitigated this issue, but it was too late, as I had made my decision.
In the end, I built a 331 (actually 333 (.040)). As it turns out, this engine is more than enough as a "street and show" warrior. It dynoed when running a custom built 680 XE Holly, Performer RPM, TRI-Ys, TW 170 heads, custom hyd. roller cam, 10.6 CR etc. at 392 RWHP at 6100 with 400 RWTQ at 4400. It flat goes!
I didn't even have to notch the the bottom of the barrels of this 47 year 289 block. It's, actually, bnot aclose as it looks. It's about .070 clearance. Hope this helps!
Happy Trails

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi,

When I built my engine 3 years ago, I was faced with the same thoughts ( 331 vs 347). I too, didn't like what I was learning about the rod ratio (longevity issues) or, in the case of the long rod version, the fact the the oil ring protruded into the wrist pin opening. I later learned a "short rod" version mitigated this issue, but it was too late, as I had made my decision.
In the end, I built a 331 (actually 333 (.040)). As it turns out, this engine is more than enough as a "street and show" warrior. It dynoed when running a custom built 680 XE Holly, Performer RPM, TRI-Ys, TW 170 heads, custom hyd. roller cam, 10.6 CR etc. at 392 RWHP at 6100 with 400 RWTQ at 4400. It flat goes!
I didn't even have to notch the the bottom of the barrels of this 47 year 289 block. It's, actually, bnot aclose as it looks. It's about .070 clearance. Hope this helps!
Happy Trails
Wow! Awesome numbers! Do you remember the cam specs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts