Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know...research 'em before asking away.

But what is it? Is it a-whole-nother engine? Is it upgraded crankshaft, pistons, heads?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I know, I know...research 'em before asking away.

But what is it? Is it a-whole-nother engine? Is it upgraded crankshaft, pistons, heads?
Engine displacment is measured in bore and stroke, bore being the width and stroke being the length. A stroker kit consists of rods, pistons, and crank; and it gives you a longer stroke hence stroker kit.

You can do like what I am doing and get a 4.2L shortblock from an f-150 and it will be cheaper and less work involved; but it won't be as strong as forged internals.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I'm considering getting a Stroker kit that'll meet my needs, and I'm definitely going with P&P Heads & Intake with a Stage2+ Cam...

So is that possible?

I want to upgrade my crank, pistons, basically the whole top end of my 3.8L

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hmmm, I'm considering getting a Stroker kit that'll meet my needs, and I'm definitely going with P&P Heads & Intake with a Stage2+ Cam...

So is that possible?

I want to upgrade my crank, pistons, basically the whole top end of my 3.8L
is what possible? putting it all together? yes.. 4.2 rotating assembly will work with the heads and intakes

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm going to pee my pants...

A 4.2L Stroker Kit with SSM Stage2+...

...I'm thinking of just getting Windstar Kit rather than porting out my upper intake, would that be a good idea?

I'm really trying to PUSH this little V6 into a BIG V6! No power-adders, all motor! GRRRRRRRRRR!

·
Registered
825 Posts

...I'm thinking of just getting Windstar Kit rather than porting out my upper intake, would that be a good idea?

I'm really trying to PUSH this little V6 into a BIG V6! No power-adders, all motor! GRRRRRRRRRR!
u got a lot of plans to do a lot of different things, but just try to find a goal that you definitely want to do to your car and work on that..if you have thousands of ideas you will end up like Schwaebz and get nothin done! :laugh:

the windstar kit would be a good idea if thats the setup you would like..

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well Pony, if you're going to stroke your motor, then you can also increase your compression to make more hp.....

It's going to be the same price either way. Stroker kits are not cheap, and machine shop work isn't either.....
ok here is a question shine.. explain compression to me.. how do you know what compression you have? how do you change it? how do you know what compression to choose when building a motor?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
For a Force Induction motor, you want low compression. For an N/A motor you want higher compression. A high compression F/I motor is a recipe for disaster. lol Look at the racing Porsches. The turbo Porsches have a very low compression ratio. The N/A Porsches have a very very high compression ratio, sometimes as high as a 13:1 or 14:1, which really aren't streetable.

The compression ratio- It is the ratio of the volume of the cylinder when it is at the bottom of its stroke compared to the volume when the piston is at the top of its stroke.

You can change compression ratio a lot of ways. The easiest would be to choose a different type of piston. Their are different piston shapes for the head of the piston. I say that would be the easiest because you can just order the piston compared to what you want to achieve out of the engine. lol

If you don't understand what I am saying I am sure someone else can explain it better.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

If you are not going to use a power adder then you don't need a forged bottom end. If you are just looking for the extra displacment then get a f-150 4.2L shortblock. Between supersix and delk I think stroker kits are in the $1500 range and require more work. A remanufactured 4.2L shortblock should be under $1000.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
He could also do the 4.3L upgrade and get an 11.5:1 CR. That would be good for some straight up N/A power. Throw some Nitrous onto that bad boy of an engine and fly by people. lol

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The goal that I would like to accomplish is to run a high-performance all-motor V6. I'm not going to put any superchargers, turbos, NOS.

My Pony is basically going to have a very built 6 cylinder engine. Is that possible?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But as far as for sueprchragers, turbos, and NOS...

I'll leave that to my '03 SVT Cobra that I'll be getting sometime next year hopefully.

=]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The goal that I would like to accomplish is to run a high-performance all-motor V6. I'm not going to put any superchargers, turbos, NOS.

My Pony is basically going to have a very built 6 cylinder engine. Is that possible?
That is pretty much what I am going for as well, but for a DD all motor V6 realalistically the best you can hope for is mid to high 13's.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's DD?

I'm not really hoping to ridicule the other competition, I just want to see what it feels to have a V6 Mustang pushing major power without all those chargers.

The term "blower," is that for turbos? "Spray" is for NOS?

As for Stroker Kits...

There are many to choose from I assume, some require an ideal goal for each and every one of them. So what's not so complex with the SSM Stage2+? And how will these two react to a 4:10 gear ratio?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could I run a stroker kit with my current engine? Meaning, without a "swap"?

What would I have to swap for a stroker kit?

·
Registered
623 Posts
For a Force Induction motor, you want low compression. For an N/A motor you want higher compression. A high compression F/I motor is a recipe for disaster. lol Look at the racing Porsches. The turbo Porsches have a very low compression ratio. The N/A Porsches have a very very high compression ratio, sometimes as high as a 13:1 or 14:1, which really aren't streetable.

The compression ratio- It is the ratio of the volume of the cylinder when it is at the bottom of its stroke compared to the volume when the piston is at the top of its stroke.

You can change compression ratio a lot of ways. The easiest would be to choose a different type of piston. Their are different piston shapes for the head of the piston. I say that would be the easiest because you can just order the piston compared to what you want to achieve out of the engine. lol

If you don't understand what I am saying I am sure someone else can explain it better.
yea its getting there bro.. but i wanna go deeper into it.. i want to learn more than that but thanks for the start:bigthumbsup
If you are not going to use a power adder then you don't need a forged bottom end. If you are just looking for the extra displacment then get a f-150 4.2L shortblock. Between supersix and delk I think stroker kits are in the $1500 range and require more work. A remanufactured 4.2L shortblock should be under $1000.
i agree:gringreen
Could I run a stroker kit with my current engine? Meaning, without a "swap"?

What would I have to swap for a stroker kit?
huh? and DD means daily driver, and blower means like turbo or super charger..

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
whitepony331- You seem to have a lot of wants but no idea on how to do any of it. If you are wanting an all motor high hp V6 the 3.8 isn't the best motor to choose.

You are going to be able to get about 280-300hp n/a, maybe a bit more, out of the 3.8/4.2/4.3L's before the car becomes unstreetable. You will still be able to drive the car on the street but it isn't going to be a fun car to drive. The p/p jobs and the cam that you will have to go with to make big n/a power will really only be good for track use. That is why you don't see too many high hp n/a cars being daily driven, it isn't reasonable.

My friend has a 500rwhp n/a LS1, it is not a fun car. It stalls at every stop due to the cam and how it idles, and unless you are flooring it or giving it a fair amount of gas then it bogs alot too. It also gets about 8-10 mpg. lol

You could order the stroker kit or a complete long block. The stroker kit will come with the crank, rods, and pistons and a few other misc. things that you will need. These parts you could then take to a mechanic and have him swap into your current engine. Or you could buy the long block which would come pretty much put together besides accessories and some of the top end.

Why do you want to do things the hard way? lol

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
What's DD?

I'm not really hoping to ridicule the other competition, I just want to see what it feels to have a V6 Mustang pushing major power without all those chargers.

The term "blower," is that for turbos? "Spray" is for NOS?

As for Stroker Kits...

There are many to choose from I assume, some require an ideal goal for each and every one of them. So what's not so complex with the SSM Stage2+? And how will these two react to a 4:10 gear ratio?
Ok......you lost me a little but I will try. Having a built motor and you gear ratio has almost no correlation; you can run any gear ratio. However since you plan on camming it higher gears would be great to go along with a higher redline.

Secondly, there really aren't that many different stroker kits. You can either stroke to a 4.2L or a 4.3L.

Lastly, stroking it with forged internals is a waste if you are going all motor. A 4.2L shortblock from an f-150 is cheaper and requires less work. shortblock means you get crank, rods, and pistons already assembled in the block. Stroker kit you have to assemble the componets in the block.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to look for more information myself about stroker kits and how they function. I'd like to build my own high-performance V6 engine, but thanks everybody for the two cents. I've learned plenty so far about this topic.

I'm going to try to build something that's really powerful, but less amount of money and work. I'm also considering going with tex117s idea about the F-150 4.2L ShortBlock, and see where I can work from there. Because I will be going with the SSM Stage2+ Kit, so why not upgrade the bottom end of my engine?

I'm not trying to go over the "streetlegal" laws. I just want to give my Six a lot of pep. What if the impossible can be accomplished?

Thanks guys. Reagan smash!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.