Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my friend has a 97 gt and it has a strut tower brace on it that conects the strut towers and fire wall and i noticed that my 98 v6 doesnt. My question is that if i get one from a junk yard from a gt, will i be able to bolt it to my struts or will have to make some modifications? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
ok, my friend has a 97 gt and it has a strut tower brace on it that conects the strut towers and fire wall and i noticed that my 98 v6 doesnt. My question is that if i get one from a junk yard from a gt, will i be able to bolt it to my struts or will have to make some modifications? Thanks!
I'm pretty sure it will, the only clearance you have to worry about is the intake manifold . ..

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I am under the understanding that the only thing you will have to do is move a vac line . Was thinking about getting one my self but am now looking at buying a 99 to 04 mustang instead . Ahhh play toys !

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, i looked at my strut mounts again and i dont have any mounting holes for the brace. it looks like there are markings on the strut though where the holes would be on a gt. Can i just drill those out and get some grade 8 bolts to attache it or am i not looking at the right thing?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
am i able to drill those holes out or will i mess sumthing up?
What kind of a brace is it?

They didn't come from the factory with them.

you usually have to drill the holes . ..

·
Registered
531 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
am i able to drill those holes out or will i mess sumthing up?
Just make sure the car is flat and level, hold the brace in place to make sure everything clears and mark the holes. Use a punch to dimple your marks and drill away. Sometimes it is a lot easier to drill a smaller hole first, then step up to the final size drill bit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mustangdewd3.8 said:
I bought a Strut Tower brace.

Just bolted right on to the stock jacks a GT's would go on. Didn't need to move anything.
Really!?! The brace that i am looking at came off a gt and there were boldts going into the shock tower...i dont have any extra holes in my shock towers. Could it be possible that are two different types? Were did u get yours? Thanx

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
Really!?! The brace that i am looking at came off a gt and there were boldts going into the shock tower...i dont have any extra holes in my shock towers. Could it be possible that are two different types? Were did u get yours? Thanx
yeah, they vary greatly. There are at least 5 different ST braces.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
Yea that brace mounts just like the one im looking at. But my schock towers dont have the holes in it for the boldts. Can i just drills those out or not? What did u do? Thanks for all the help
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/upper1.htm

here's instructions!

They were pre-drilled on Dewd's car, you'll have to drill them yourself.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok great! Thanx for all the help guys. I got 1 more question for you all. Seeing how im going to get the strut mount brace and i just installed a rear sway bar, what else do u guys recomend to improve handling?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
Ok great! Thanx for all the help guys. I got 1 more question for you all. Seeing how im going to get the strut mount brace and i just installed a rear sway bar, what else do u guys recomend to improve handling?
subframe connectors. should be one of the first things you do. -I know I'm being hypocritical, but, they should go into any Mustang you plan to keep.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kscoyote said:
subframe connectors. should be one of the first things you do. -I know I'm being hypocritical, but, they should go into any Mustang you plan to keep.
Ok kool, now is there a difference between the eld on and bolt on ones-i mean besides how they attach- is one better over the other? What brand do u recomend? Thanx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.