Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thankfully this year I'm getting some money back from Uncle Sam and I'll have a little left after I put the rest in the bank and knock off some bills..... anyhow I was looking at mods for my car and the strut tower bar from Ford Racing and Steeda caught my eye. First off, as far as daily driving goes, how will this effect my car on a day to day basis? Also though, I do like the thought of my chassis having addition bracing and I abhor body roll, my previous car was an '02 Maxima that really suffered from abysmal body roll, is this a worthwhile mod? Also, even though my car is my daily, I do want to take it to a "track day" that they sometimes have in the parking lot of Qualcomm stadium where they set up cones and slamoms (sp?) Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Better off doing more under carriage suspension work and chassis stiffening work. I took mine off to save weight and couldnt even notice any change

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have the BBK brace, and other than the eye candy factor, I've never noticed any difference.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think an A-arm brace is money better spent.
+1, I have both a strut tower barce and an A arm/K member brace and I noticed the difference when the bottom brace was put on, but didn't notice anything when the top one was installed. The top one is very pretty though. Mine only weighs 2.5 lbs so I wasn't worried about it.
I have subframe connectors too and those suckers weigh 30 lbs but my frame is extremely tight...I can't feel any flex at all.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Ford did their homework and stiffened up the chassis. You don't really need any bracing on a stocker. If you have some higher HP then there is some good pieces out there to stiffen up the chassis. I did notice a difference with the CHE K-member brace with torque limiters. It also helps with shifting because of limiting the movement of the trans.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
+1, I have both a strut tower barce and an A arm/K member brace and I noticed the difference when the bottom brace was put on, but didn't notice anything when the top one was installed. The top one is very pretty though. Mine only weighs 2.5 lbs so I wasn't worried about it.
I have subframe connectors too and those suckers weigh 30 lbs but my frame is extremely tight...I can't feel any flex at all.
I didn't know you'd done the subframe connectors. Which ones did you get?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I didn't know you'd done the subframe connectors. Which ones did you get?
I have the larger (boxed type) from Granetelli...four welding points per side instead of two...two frame welds and two floor board welds inboard. They are basically the same as the BMR boxed connectors, but they were a little bit cheaper. Probably overkill, but I can't feel any flex what so ever no matter how hard I push it in the corners. I figured I dropped 30 pounds from the driveshaft so I just gave it back with the connectors (but the shaft is rotational weight). Here they are:

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I have the larger (boxed type) from Granetelli...four welding points per side instead of two...two frame welds and two floor board welds inboard. They are basically the same as the BMR boxed connectors, but they were a little bit cheaper. Probably overkill, but I can't feel any flex what so ever no matter how hard I push it in the corners. I figured I dropped 30 pounds from the driveshaft so I just gave it back with the connectors (but the shaft is rotational weight). Here they are:
Those are nice Dan. They do look very similar to the BMRs..

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Those are nice Dan. They do look very similar to the BMRs..
Thanks! With your HP output, you might might feel them a little more than I do. The big boxed type with the four weld points are better than the simple straight pieces since they resist twisting better.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Thanks! With your HP output, you might might feel them a little more than I do. The big boxed type with the four weld points are better than the simple straight pieces since they resist twisting better.
Are you trying to get me to buy more stuff Dan? :gringreen

G

·
Thankfully this year I'm getting some money back from Uncle Sam and I'll have a little left after I put the rest in the bank and knock off some bills..... anyhow I was looking at mods for my car and the strut tower bar from Ford Racing and Steeda caught my eye. First off, as far as daily driving goes, how will this effect my car on a day to day basis? Also though, I do like the thought of my chassis having addition bracing and I abhor body roll, my previous car was an '02 Maxima that really suffered from abysmal body roll, is this a worthwhile mod? Also, even though my car is my daily, I do want to take it to a "track day" that they sometimes have in the parking lot of Qualcomm stadium where they set up cones and slamoms (sp?) Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I'd use the cash to make a spring/ strut fund.

Much more real impact than a bling brace. I'd even get adj anti roll upgrades before the brace.

S197's are very stiff stock. If you were to push it through a track event alot, then after a.m. mods, a shock tower brace may be beneficial but, not for normal street. At that point I'd start in on brake upgrades first then anyways.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have the Steeda strut tower brace and it helps me...but I have a vert. I also have the CDC Light bar and between the 2 it really stiffened the frame of the convertible.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I have the Steeda strut tower brace and it helps me...but I have a vert. I also have the CDC Light bar and between the 2 it really stiffened the frame of the convertible.
I'd guess the light bar has to be a placebo. I doubt if that provides much structural support.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'd guess the light bar has to be a placebo. I doubt if that provides much structural support.
Common sense would indicate that it would provide some support since it bolts onto the frame about halfway down. I'm not saying it stiffens it a great deal....that's not the reason for buying it....aesthetics is the reason. But I would think it has to give a little extra stiffness....

All I know is that I don't get as much of that convertible "cowel shake" when I go over bumps since both have been installed.

But who knows.....maybe I just THINK it feels better....lol. But if that's true please don't rain on my parade...lol.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Common sense would indicate that it would provide some support since it bolts onto the frame about halfway down. I'm not saying it stiffens it a great deal....that's not the reason for buying it....aesthetics is the reason. But I would think it has to give a little extra stiffness....

All I know is that I don't get as much of that convertible "cowel shake" when I go over bumps since both have been installed.

But who knows.....maybe I just THINK it feels better....lol. But if that's true please don't rain on my parade...lol.
Sorry, man... Didn't mean to be a downer. :happydance:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm dropping another C note for a dyno pull just to see if maybe the Fitch did anything. It's like being a crack addict. I'm looking at a new lower grill next. Oh the humanity :happyhapp

But back to the topic at hand...strut tower bars. Mine is a very nice polished aluminum piece from Strange Development. They were the first to make a strut tower bar that cleared the Midwest intake cover...remember way back when that was a problem? Their bar is also very, very light...they say the bar is only 1.6 lbs, but I thought it was a little over 2 lbs, but in either case, it is extremely light. I also have their "Z" strut tower bars in the rear of the car (the trunk). Here's the link for Strange Development if anyone's interested. The Z brace is the third pic down. Strange Development - Product Details

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.