Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there's a strut tower brace that will fit over a KB blower?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Maybe same as screwed Cobra w/Eaton?
http://www.mustangtuning.com/20costtobr.html
And worth contacting KB directly; they might have some experience w/answer.

Hopefully wouldn't need the Cobra hood
want to sell CAI/plenum?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gimme til the end of this week to see if either of the guys that have already asked are still interested. If not then it's yours for $250 for CAI, TB & plenum. The CAI is painted Red Fire right now, but some sandpaper and high gloss black can fix that.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I'm trying to stiffen this car up so it will behave better. I found a Steeda strut tower brace for 03-04 Cobra's and Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors. Can anyone tell me if the strut towers on the Cobras are any different than on GT's, if they are the same I'm sure it will work. If not then I may end up having to chop and swap some stuff.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The strut towers are the same. That brace should work assuming the dimensions of the Eaton and Autorotor are similar.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought Autorotor made the casing and rotors for the Eaton and Eaton did something different and slapped their name on it?

·
Registered
701 Posts
BlueStreak03

How is that KB kit installation going anyways?
Gotta be prety cool parts in this kit?!
You can't imagine how jealous I am not having a KB :worship

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It hasn't started yet. We dropped the car off this afternoon for work to start first thing tomorrow. I opened up the boxes with one of the guys so we could make sure the parts are all there. We thought they had forgotten the Switch-Chip, but it was tucked inside the intake tube and was eventually found. I had no idea a blower was so friggin heavy. The blower and intercooler itself must weigh in at 40 pounds or more. I was amazed at how compact the heat exchanger is though. Not much bigger than a trans fluid cooler. I guess you can do that when you have a large volume of water in the reservoir to share the heat load. I got a quick look at the MAF and TB. Those things are gargantuan. I was surprised to find that the gaskets that come with the kit are OEM Ford parts. I was expecting something a little less expensive, but KB really shoots for quality. I gave the guys explicit instructions for the tune. One that's tuned to max out 93 Octane and one that's 75% of that. There's a third position on the switch that I'm getting, it's going to be an ignition kill. So someone could hotwire the car and try all they want to start it, but it's never going to fire. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted. I'm not going to be sleeping much this week.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
I thought Autorotor made the casing and rotors for the Eaton and Eaton did something different and slapped their name on it?
If that were true, the KB blower wouldn't be any more efficient than the Eaton and we all know that isn't true. There would be no point in switching to an Autorotor from an Eaton on Cobras and Lightnings if the KB wasn't more efficient. As far as I know, Eaton designs there own parts.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, that's cool. I had read or heard somewhere that Autorotor made ridiculous percentage of all positive displacement blowers so I assumed that included KB also.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
OK, that's cool. I had read or heard somewhere that Autorotor made ridiculous percentage of all positive displacement blowers so I assumed that included KB also.
I think someone was trying to blow smoke up your ass! :laughlitt

·
Registered
701 Posts
They are twin screw design, compared to the eaton (cobra) roots design.

Roots: Trap air and move thru
T-screw: Capture and compress air while moving thru housing.

The only thing different talking about KB(Autorotor) and Whipple S/C is that they don't use the same number of lobes (or vanes) and therefore have an other internal gear ratio. V-Efficiency has to be aproximately the same.
(or in other words: I assume both manufacturers are very optimistic...)

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha. I totally forgot that there are different types of positive displacement blowers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Cobra strut

BlueStreak03 said:
Does anyone know if there's a strut tower brace that will fit over a KB blower?
Per Kenne Bell:
Must I remove the Cobra 4.6 strut brace from my Mustang? Yes. And good riddance. It did nothing to strengthen the chassis. Ford engineers will verify this. It was included only for looks! On the '96-'98 cars the "bump" in the inlet tube that was necessary to accommodate the brace resulted in an 8HP loss. Need proof? It was eliminated on all of the '99 up Cobra's - and anyone knowledgeable in chassis design will tell you that the strut brace was also worthless on all the '86-'93 cars. Just another product that sounds good in theory but does nothing.

PS One word: FullLengthSubFrameConnectors!

·
Registered
200 Posts
more like....

BlueStreak03 said:
I had no idea a blower was so friggin heavy. The blower and intercooler itself must weigh in at 40 pounds or more...
More like 120 lbs with the intake manifold.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the full length subframes. They're going in next week hopefully. As for the weight of the blower and manifold, I highly doubt it's 120 pounds. I lifted it and carried it halfway across the shop without any trouble. It was way more than I was expecting though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
KB heavyweight

A lot more then the plastic PI intake, thats for sure. My shipping weight was 125# including 3 extra pulleys, misc stuff, and the manifold heat exchanger but not including the intercooler radiator, reservoir and hoses. Need the extra weight to keep the nose down when you boot it! Any way, how do you like the instant access to 400+ Lbs of axle twisting force?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to wipe the silly grin off my face everytime I punch it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ten Four!!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
I have to wipe the silly grin off my face everytime I punch it.
Whoa Blue. Way to go. Didn't think I was gone that long! Any numbers yet? Preblower vs now?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.