Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 spd 66 got stuck in first. I unhooked the rod for the forward most link. I pushed the rod back and put the shifter in neutral. Reconnected the rod and I could go through all gears in my driveway. I took it out for a spin and 1st and 2nd were great, but now I couldn't get it into 3rd or 4th and then it got locked in second.

I'm pretty sure my Hurst is the issue. Any recommendations? Should I rebuild? I thought today I would undo the links again, set the shifter into neutral with the set pin (didn't do that before) and maybe adjust the stops? This came with the car and looking down at it through the car, it looks like the shifter is only attached to the tranny by one bolt and it is not fully tightened. Is there an install diagram/instructions out there?

Any recommendations are appreciated

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Did you try adjusting the linkage? Use a 1/4" rod when the shifter is in neutral and adjust the linkage to just fit the levers with the rod in place. Then you remove the rod and it should work.
If the shifter is worn then you may have to rebuild or replace it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Here is a Hurst Competetion Plus diagram for a 4 speed. Is this what you have?

I would recommend buying the bushing and spring kit from JEGS, which has the bushings and proper clips to attach the rods to the arms.

Adjusting the arms properly is good for your issue. The 3 speed kit instructions reference using a 1/4 in drill bit as an alignment tool.

The 4 sp diagram references an alignment tool, which could very well be the same 1/4 in drill bit, or something close to that size will do just fine.

When my 3 speed was doing what yours was doing, that was my issue, replacing those parts gave me trouble free operation.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the install diagram. I spent awhile searching the net for one but had no luck. I'm going to pull the shifter and get the kit on JEGS. I think the fact that I didn't use the 1/4 rod to reset was part of the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, got her running yesterday. Cleaned the shifter and replaced the bushings and clips. Just wished I paid more attention to the order the rods went in. It was like figuring out a jigsaw puzzle under there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts