Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing my fuel pump, but I am stuck at the bane of my existence; removing the last fuel line. This fuel line appears to be smaller than the 2 lines that feed into the Fuel Filter (3/8), so I picked up the 5/16 Fuel Line remover tool as well.

I got 2 lines off the fuel filter and removed the filter, but I am unable to get this last line off with either tool. Do I need another size fuel line remover or should one of these two work?

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/4-6l-tech/75682d1249276902-1998-mustang-fuel-pump-removal-installation-step8.jpg

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
These can be hard. Use the smaller unit. Push the line towards the filter. Then insert the removal tool. Pull apart while applying outwards pressure with the removal tool.

• Push the line and filter together. Hold.
  • Insert the removal tool while keeping the line and filter together. Use the smaller removal tool.
  • Pull apart. It may require more effort than seems correct. If the removal tool is fully inserted, it will come apart. Slight twisting sometimes helps. It is important that the removal tool remain engaged while pulling the line apart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the lines going into the fuel filter were realtively easy to pull apart. From another thread I found from someone doing this on a '98, you will need to use a smaller line remover (5/16) for this standalone line that is going to the fuel tank.

I'm sure frustration and the 100 degree heat wore me out. I'll try those steps and push in the line before I try to release it with the tool, thanks for the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts