Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....the C&L intake, SCT tuner and FRPP GTA's are being ordered tomorrow by the Performance shop I go to. I have a couple of questions about the SCT tuner.

Eric at the shop (Ultimate Edge Performance in South Windsor, CT...always like to give him a plug) tells me that the SCT tuner comes with a 93 octane tune pre-loaded. However, when going to the SCT site it indicated that the tuner comes loaded with 87, 91 and 93 octane tunes. Is that correct ?

Also he told me that some dyno guy is going to be emailing him a custom tune. But I'm thinking that I don't want to fool around with a custom tune from some guy I don't know...what do you guys think ?

So in about 2 weeks I will be part of the CAI/tuner/axleback crowd :gringreen

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
He is correct. The SCT tuner comes pre-loaded with 3 tunes. If it comes from SCT it will have 87,91,93 octane tunes. If you get a CAI and tune package from someone like Brenspeed, then you can get different versions of the same octane tune. Like a Race 93 and a performance 93 tune, and then an 87 performance tune. The tuner comes with 3 slots, so the tuner will fill them with what you request if going with a custom tune.

SCT tune vs the dyno tune, the dyno tune will more than likely be a better and more powerful tune, but like you said, make sure you trust the guy and he is well known to give good work. I know dozens of guys on here that will give a plug for Doug over at Bamachips for his excellent tunes.

either will work, its just what you decide really.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is correct. The SCT tuner comes pre-loaded with 3 tunes. If it comes from SCT it will have 87,91,93 octane tunes. If you get a CAI and tune package from someone like Brenspeed, then you can get different versions of the same octane tune. Like a Race 93 and a performance 93 tune, and then an 87 performance tune. The tuner comes with 3 slots, so the tuner will fill them with what you request if going with a custom tune.

SCT tune vs the dyno tune, the dyno tune will more than likely be a better and more powerful tune, but like you said, make sure you trust the guy and he is well known to give good work. I know dozens of guys on here that will give a plug for Doug over at Bamachips for his excellent tunes.

either will work, its just what you decide really.
Hot...but I swear Eric told me that the SCT comes loaded with ONLY the 93 octane tune, which I thought was not correct. But I am thinking I misunderstood him so I will ask him again tomorrow.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Fuzz, just go to Brenspeed.com OR Bamachips.com and order them.Dont know about bamachips but i know Brenspeed has free shipping on anything you buy PLUS if in the future you decide to get another mod that requires a new tune being loaded then Brent will reload your SCT with whatever you need for it for free.Sure ebats paying someone to give you another tune to support your newest mod purchase. I SWEAR MY 11 YEAR OLD SON COULD INSTALL THE CAI AND THE TUNE.It will make you feel so much better (just like the detailing does,car looks good too by the way!) I can even give you a phone number to call me after you get the CAI installed in 15-20 minutes and can walk you through plugging in the SCT,lol......if it would make you feel better:bigthumbsup. You really CANT mess it up. Go ahead and have someone install the mufflers.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
I assume this is an X3 which holds the SCT tunes in addition to any custom tunes. I believe it can hold up to 6.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Very good choices there, Fuzzy! :clap

The C&L looks nice, and those GTA's are gonna sound great!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
The X3 comes with 3 canned tunes 87,91,93 and can also be loaded with 3 custom tunes of your choice. Bama will email
the tunes to you for a fee but it's well worth and better than the canned tunes.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
i think i paid like $329 for my GTA's. but i love them wayyy too much to complain :D

and don't fret fuzzy. i am going to have a shop install my CAI and tune. I don't have any tools at all and its just a mental thing with me. But hey, maybe i will change my tune cause heck, i changed my oil. First thing i have ever really done to a car aside from stick things on it, clean it, and of course, install my CDC sequentials (hinthint, get them!!!) lol

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
You can install a basic screw driver set from black and decker.10.00

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
You can install a basic screw driver set from black and decker.10.00
But i heard there was some torx bit or something special that you needed as well. And you have to transfer the MAF sensor. I don't even know if that towards the airbox or the manifold....:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
But i heard there was some torx bit or something special that you needed as well. And you have to transfer the MAF sensor. I don't even know if that towards the airbox or the manifold....:headscratch:
Yeah, you need a Torx T-20 to remove the MAF sensor from the stock intake.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, my C&L came with the torx bit.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yesssssssss....just got back from the preformance shop and everything is officially ordered:

C&L Intake, SCT Xcal3 and the FRPP GTA's.

POOF....there goes another thousand dollars....lol.

And already thinking about my next mods after this...CDC Classic Chin Spoiler and Sequential taillights. And I have even begun to entertain the notion of 3.73 gears and *GASP* racing stripes. I think I am officially infected.....

I've decided just to use the SCT pre-loaded 93 octane tune for now. If I get adventurous later I will order a tune from Brenspeed or the 93 torque tune from BamaChips.

And didn't I say, along with not detailing my own car, that I probably wouldn't do a lot of mods ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have to say that.. the more you do to your car, the more you'll learn. While you may feel like you'll break something, theres not a whole lot to break while installing a CAI or axlebacks and if something goes wrong you can always return it to stock so long as you remember how it came apart.

Most performance parts will come with an installation guide or instructions inside the box. If not, they can be requested from the store you bought it from. I know that my TI intake came with full instructions (I believe they were even in color...) for installing the intake and flashing the computer with the tuner. Same with my Hurst shifter, which I installed myself with no previous knowledge of cars.

Sometimes ya just gotta be bold, unless of course you've got the buck to not be.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to say that.. the more you do to your car, the more you'll learn. While you may feel like you'll break something, theres not a whole lot to break while installing a CAI or axlebacks and if something goes wrong you can always return it to stock so long as you remember how it came apart.

Most performance parts will come with an installation guide or instructions inside the box. If not, they can be requested from the store you bought it from. I know that my TI intake came with full instructions (I believe they were even in color...) for installing the intake and flashing the computer with the tuner. Same with my Hurst shifter, which I installed myself with no previous knowledge of cars.

Sometimes ya just gotta be bold, unless of course you've got the buck to not be.
Not doing the install myself....I don't have the means (ramps/lift) for doing the GTA's....and even if I did I wouldn't be doing it....lol. My performance guy is going to put the axlebacks on and while it's in there he's throwing on the CAI and then will show me how to do the re-flash. 75.00 - 100.00 he will charge me for that....I definitely can live with that.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
There's nothing wrong with having the work done for you. I'd love to pay someone to do all of my work. :)

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
There's nothing wrong with having the work done for you. I'd love to pay someone to do all of my work. :)
Don't you already do that at your present job? :laugh:

Fuzzy: Where are the flaps, man? :fantastic:

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Yesssssssss....just got back from the preformance shop and everything is officially ordered:

C&L Intake, SCT Xcal3 and the FRPP GTA's.

POOF....there goes another thousand dollars....lol.

And didn't I say, along with not detailing my own car, that I probably wouldn't do a lot of mods ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....
I was entertaining the idea of using my tax refund and economic stimulus check which amount to over $1,000 to get a C&L and SCT3 however.....

My tv just decided to die on me. And now that the singal is going to change in 2009, you have to change to LCD anyway(though you can get a converter box but i bet they will make them so bad that you are forced to go buy an LCD just so you don't have to use that box lol) so i might as well get a LCD, because you can't find a tune tv anyway.

So yea, i just priced one out and it looks like about 700 and change grand total. So there goes my refunds:so

Maybe next year i can get some go fast goodies. Right now i'll stick to the small stuff. i just got GT500 pedals on my mustang today. And i thin 1/2 mirror covers are next on my list. I'll do the small now and big stuff later :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.