Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....the C&L intake, SCT tuner and FRPP GTA's are being ordered tomorrow by the Performance shop I go to. I have a couple of questions about the SCT tuner.

Eric at the shop (Ultimate Edge Performance in South Windsor, CT...always like to give him a plug) tells me that the SCT tuner comes with a 93 octane tune pre-loaded. However, when going to the SCT site it indicated that the tuner comes loaded with 87, 91 and 93 octane tunes. Is that correct ?

Also he told me that some dyno guy is going to be emailing him a custom tune. But I'm thinking that I don't want to fool around with a custom tune from some guy I don't know...what do you guys think ?

So in about 2 weeks I will be part of the CAI/tuner/axleback crowd :gringreen

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is correct. The SCT tuner comes pre-loaded with 3 tunes. If it comes from SCT it will have 87,91,93 octane tunes. If you get a CAI and tune package from someone like Brenspeed, then you can get different versions of the same octane tune. Like a Race 93 and a performance 93 tune, and then an 87 performance tune. The tuner comes with 3 slots, so the tuner will fill them with what you request if going with a custom tune.

SCT tune vs the dyno tune, the dyno tune will more than likely be a better and more powerful tune, but like you said, make sure you trust the guy and he is well known to give good work. I know dozens of guys on here that will give a plug for Doug over at Bamachips for his excellent tunes.

either will work, its just what you decide really.
Hot...but I swear Eric told me that the SCT comes loaded with ONLY the 93 octane tune, which I thought was not correct. But I am thinking I misunderstood him so I will ask him again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yesssssssss....just got back from the preformance shop and everything is officially ordered:

C&L Intake, SCT Xcal3 and the FRPP GTA's.

POOF....there goes another thousand dollars....lol.

And already thinking about my next mods after this...CDC Classic Chin Spoiler and Sequential taillights. And I have even begun to entertain the notion of 3.73 gears and *GASP* racing stripes. I think I am officially infected.....

I've decided just to use the SCT pre-loaded 93 octane tune for now. If I get adventurous later I will order a tune from Brenspeed or the 93 torque tune from BamaChips.

And didn't I say, along with not detailing my own car, that I probably wouldn't do a lot of mods ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to say that.. the more you do to your car, the more you'll learn. While you may feel like you'll break something, theres not a whole lot to break while installing a CAI or axlebacks and if something goes wrong you can always return it to stock so long as you remember how it came apart.

Most performance parts will come with an installation guide or instructions inside the box. If not, they can be requested from the store you bought it from. I know that my TI intake came with full instructions (I believe they were even in color...) for installing the intake and flashing the computer with the tuner. Same with my Hurst shifter, which I installed myself with no previous knowledge of cars.

Sometimes ya just gotta be bold, unless of course you've got the buck to not be.
Not doing the install myself....I don't have the means (ramps/lift) for doing the GTA's....and even if I did I wouldn't be doing it....lol. My performance guy is going to put the axlebacks on and while it's in there he's throwing on the CAI and then will show me how to do the re-flash. 75.00 - 100.00 he will charge me for that....I definitely can live with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.