Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt my carb, autolite 1100, and now have a problem. When I ease on the gas, all is well and I can go to high rpm. From a stop, if I try to romp or just give it a quick tap, it stumbles and dies.

A little more info: my accelerator pump was squirting gas with the rebuild so I machined it flat on the contact surface. It is now leak free. There are no apparent leaks. Everything seems to be doing fine. I checked the gaps on all spark plugs and they are perfect.

Could this be a timing issue? The car starts very easily. I suppose it could still be slightly out of time though. I have great fuel flow. It seems to be getting air just fine as well. All that's left is spark.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Could be getting too much fuel, might have a professional rebuilt the carb. or buy new

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What kind of spark advance do you have. With a sticky spark advance you can easily get up to highway speed if you accelerate gently. If you romp on it hard and fast, that is when the spark advance kicks in and keeps the engine running good during the acceleration. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I adjusted the timing and now have no issue with stumbling off the line.

Also, I believe I have a vacuum advance.

Update 2: Now I have a different issue. I drove about 3 miles averaging about 40 mph. When I pulled up to the stop sign, it began to stumble as it idled down. When I pulled into my garage, it idled down stumbling and died. I immediately took off the air cleaner to discover flooding. I tuned to correct this and took another trip.

Upon completion of this trip, I immediately took off the air cleaner and was pleased. I asked my wife if she wanted to go for a short drive now that I had it down. A couple minutes after I did this, I looked back in the carb and discovered that gas was trickling onto the butterfly and puddling. In order to start the car again, I had to go wide open throttle and rev it until it smoothed out, I suppose because it burned off the excess gas.

Does anyone know why it would be leaking after shut off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's all good now. I adjusted the timing, put on a new fuel filter (glass type), and added a second gasket from carb to intake. We're solid gold now. No hesitation at take off, no leak after shut off. I think the biggest problem was timing for the hesitation and boiling fuel for leaking after shut off. Thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts