Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting new tires and have decided to go with 275/40/19's on my gt/cs wheels I am going with the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Seasons but there are two options for speed ratings. H for $208 or Z for $231. I don't plan on going over the recommended speed for a H rated tire (130mph). Is there any reason to spend the extra money?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I was contemplating that same decision just yesterday.

In the end, I skipped Pirelli altogether to go with a completely new model tire by Goodyear.

I think the difference between those 2 is the Z has slightly better performance characteristics. (May also wear slightly quicker, too?)

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm all for saving the money and going with the 130 mph speed rated tires. If you will never get to 130 mph, you don't need the more expensive tires!

Also, I have heard the Goodyear tires are a better tire... There's a thread on that somewhere on AFM...

G

·
0 Posts
I suggest skipping Pirelli altogether. My best recommendation for a budget conscious buyer is Continental, either the Extreme Contact DWS(all season) or the Extreme DW(summer performance). Both are great value with great performance.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why not pirelli? A lot of reviews show this as the better performing tire.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
why not pirelli? A lot of reviews show this as the better performing tire.
Because, see this:

The August issue of C&D came out, and they did a pretty extensive tire test. 9 high performance summer tires under $200 a piece. They were shocked(it was a blind test to avoid bias) and so was I that the Pirellis came in last.
1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport
2. Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
3. Yokohama Advan Neova AD08
4. Hankook Ventus R-S3
5. Continental Extremecontact DW
6. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
7. Toyo Proxes R1R
8. Donlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
9. Pirellis P Zero
Thread discussion, here.

I'm all for saving the money and going with the 130 mph speed rated tires. If you will never get to 130 mph, you don't need the more expensive tires!

Also, I have heard the Goodyear tires are a better tire... There's a thread on that somewhere on AFM...
They don't make the Eagle F1 in my tire size. (I'm running 245/45/19s).

However, they make a tire from a not-so-popular Eagle line RS in my size (tons of negative reviews on the original RS tire). These bad boys that I'm getting are a completely new design and share nothing with the old, crappy RSAs.

The tire I'm getting installed today are the Eagle RS-A2s

Link

Which share the same technology as the Eagle F1s (such as carbon fiber reinforced sidewalls) with a few tread design differences. Doesn't hurt that Goodyear has a special going on for them as well, due to their limited market. Can't wait to try them out. They also have a UTQG rating of 440 vs my piss poor hankooks of 280 or so. My HK Evo's only lasted 25k miles (they were actually long over due at 20k.)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Odd that no one likes the RSA's, decent tire with great all season capabilities and long wear. Millions of them have been put in police cruisers over the last 15 years. As far as the reviews on the pzero posted earlier, that's the pzero(summer), not the pzero Nero(as). apples and tangerines.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Odd that no one likes the RSA's, decent tire with great all season capabilities and long wear. Millions of them have been put in police cruisers over the last 15 years. As far as the reviews on the pzero posted earlier, that's the pzero(summer), not the pzero Nero(as). apples and tangerines.
Cops use a different revision of the RSA. I believe the '2's share more in similarity than the actual RSA that people buy/get OEM. Such as different rubber compound and reinforcement. The biggest complaint of the RSA (Version 1, not 2) is the tread life. Many people complained they were dead within 10-20k miles. They are also UTQG rated below 300, whereas the RS-A2 are rated at 440. Slight difference there...lol

...FWIW this is all based off extensive researching prior to buying/selecting my tires and not from actual experience. I could totally just be lying out my butt regarding the RSA, as I've never owned one. But I did see one in person and the tread design looks shoddy.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
what does shoddy (or good) tread design look like? Not insulting, curious.
This is the RSA marked as a High Performance Tire:

I'm no expert, but the tread design looks very basic for a performance tire. Looks more like something that would go on a SUV.

Notice the geometry of the rubber blocks. They're all squared off, with a minimalistic tread pattern.

S

·
0 Posts
Because, see this:

Thread discussion, here.

They don't make the Eagle F1 in my tire size. (I'm running 245/45/19s).

However, they make a tire from a not-so-popular Eagle line RS in my size (tons of negative reviews on the original RS tire). These bad boys that I'm getting are a completely new design and share nothing with the old, crappy RSAs.

The tire I'm getting installed today are the Eagle RS-A2s

Link

Which share the same technology as the Eagle F1s (such as carbon fiber reinforced sidewalls) with a few tread design differences. Doesn't hurt that Goodyear has a special going on for them as well, due to their limited market. Can't wait to try them out. They also have a UTQG rating of 440 vs my piss poor hankooks of 280 or so. My HK Evo's only lasted 25k miles (they were actually long over due at 20k.)
I just picked up a set of F1's for 167 per tire.

S

·
0 Posts
Nice. Report back how you like them. :bigthumbsup
I've only had them on for a couple of days now but i can already tell the grab a whole bunch better than the Generals i had on did. Service Manager over at Goodyear told me however he would be surprised if i got 20K out of them. Says these lay very flat on the road and wear more than the other Eagles...Well see.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is the RSA marked as a High Performance Tire:

I'm no expert, but the tread design looks very basic for a performance tire. Looks more like something that would go on a SUV.

Notice the geometry of the rubber blocks. They're all squared off, with a minimalistic tread pattern.
i had them on my TB SS, they weren't a bad tire but then again it was awd

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am getting new tires and have decided to go with 275/40/19's on my gt/cs wheels I am going with the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Seasons but there are two options for speed ratings. H for $208 or Z for $231. I don't plan on going over the recommended speed for a H rated tire (130mph). Is there any reason to spend the extra money?
Will those fit your 8.5" wheel?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've only had them on for a couple of days now but i can already tell the grab a whole bunch better than the Generals i had on did. Service Manager over at Goodyear told me however he would be surprised if i got 20K out of them. Says these lay very flat on the road and wear more than the other Eagles...Well see.
I'm assuming based on the price you paid, you got the Eagle F1 Supercar series.

These bad boys?

(They also make an Eagle F1 Asymmetric tire for your size too. )

Those guys are rated at a UTQG of 220-240. They should be super sticky, but you should expect short life like my Hankooks. Be happy if you make it to 22-23K miles.

The RS-A2s are 440, which should be at a minimum, double the life of my Hankooks or your new tires. Just a little less "sticky"-ness.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Anybody try the General G max I believe they're called?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Because, see this:

Thread discussion, here.
The OP was talking about the P Zero Nero All Season tire. The Nero's tested very well compared to other utlra high-performance all season tires.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm assuming based on the price you paid, you got the Eagle F1 Supercar series.

These bad boys?

(They also make an Eagle F1 Asymmetric tire for your size too. )

Those guys are rated at a UTQG of 220-240. They should be super sticky, but you should expect short life like my Hankooks. Be happy if you make it to 22-23K miles.

The RS-A2s are 440, which should be at a minimum, double the life of my Hankooks or your new tires. Just a little less "sticky"-ness.

I just bought a pair of used eagle F1 285/35/19 and installed them on my back 9" Brembo rims as I wanted to see how they fit and drove before paying a new set (excellent condition 75% tread for 140.00). Not sure if I would pay almost 400 a piece for them, but they perform much better than stock pirellis pzero, absolutely 0 wheellhop!!!!:bigthumbsup

I have a new set of Conti DWS 275/45/19 sitting in my garage, but having a hard time getting excited about installing them for winter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the RSA's on my 2006 Monte Carlo SS. One thing I liked about them (other than the fact that they were 'above good') is that - unbeknownst to me, some punk had knifed my right-rear sidewall on Halloween night a few years ago. I didn't even know it for 30 miles the next morning (other than it didn't 'sound right' on the dot bumps on local streets).

After 30 miles on the fwy, the tell-tale 'thump-thump-thump' made itself known. Tire was creased at the bead, very definitely flat, and had not come off the rim, come apart or had any wheel damage!
Bear in mind, the Monte SS was front-wheel drive.

As for me, I'll swap my PZero's that came with my Brembo pkg. for Pilot Sport 2 A/S's later this fall. It was a toss-up between them and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS's, but the Pilot's have got better reviews on tirerack.com for Vette's and Stang's. :p

I'll be going with 275/40/19 all around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts