Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, like the title says my car, a 1966, 200ci Straight 6, is having issues. The only problem is, from what I can tell it's only when it's hot. When it's cool it's totally fine. It idles fine, not running rough. I thought it might be the anti stall dashpot so I adjusted it, but it didn't really help. Any ideas? Thanks guys, Michael.

P.S. Contrary to popular belief a STOCK 200ci 6 cylinder Mustang CAN do a burnout.:rollgrin: We went to jack up the back to try and see if we could copy what was wrong, but we didn't know which wheel to jack up. So we tried to see if it could and it did.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'd check the dist cap for cracks or contaimination. A cold cap will act different than a hot cap if it has real small cracks in it. Also, worn/arking spark plug wires have been know to act-up at running temps. ALSO, vacuum leaks can be more active at higer temps. Come to think of it, head gasket leaks could be suspect too. Do some checking in these areas and can you give any more details?

My $0.02

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It had been running fine before. I finished my rebuild, did the correct break in procedure, and took the car out. I drove around town, adjust the carb as needed and it was fine. Then I drove it 20 miles to Robinson to get some things, and it was still fine. Once I got back to Moon, I stopped to see my friend Maurice. After I left Maurice it was acting up, so I don't know what has happened.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
This might be heat related issue, when you stop, all the heat in the engine comp is stagnated, so as it rises it makes the carb and the fuel lines hot enough for the gas to boil, this causes a lot of problems. Take it for a drive like you did before, and if it acts up, open the hood for about 10 min and see it the probem is cleared, it make act up for a few seconds when it is started, until it gets enough gas into the carb or the excess gas in the manifold is used up. Post your results. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I tried taking the car out for a drive. I just barely got out of the plan and it started doing it again. It wasn't heat, as the thermostat was only at a quarter of the guage. My car usually runs perfectly with the needle centered on the temp gauge.

I'm going to try rebuilding my carb because it sees like this all started after I messed with the anti-stall dashpot.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I found what the problem was. My jet was too big. It said .68 on it. I had a spare in my carburetor parts zip loc baggie that said .50 on it. I swapped them out and no more problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.