Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to this forum. My wife has a 2011 V6 manual with 41,000 miles on it and we've been having some issues recently. It's been "stuttering" or "surging" (not sure how to describe it) while driving. Basically foot on the gas a at constant rate going say 45, and the car feels like I'm blipping the throttle really lightly. It's really pronounced in first gear when going through parking lots where it will lurch and surge. Also three times now it's activated the limp home mode. Twice while taking off from a stop light, and once driving down the damn freeway (which is a massive surprise when you're doing 70).

We took it to Ford, and they said the throttle body was dirty, so they cleaned it. Unfortunately the problem is still happening. From what I've read it sounds like the throttle body could just be bad. Since a throttle body issue would not be covered under the powertrain, I'm reluctant to pay more to have Ford replace a part that I could easily replace myself (although I'm a little annoyed they "cleaned" a part that looks like it needed to be replaced). But I'd hate to be wrong about what the issue is and spend money on a throttle body and it turns out that's not the case. I was thinking of taking it to an autozone and having them see if any codes were thrown. At no time did the check engine light come on, so would a code have even been recorded for this? Any other ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I was repainting my engine components I removed a lot of stuff, and when I reassembled it I forgot to reconnect the mass airflow sensor. Car drove normally for a quarter mile then started stuttering heavily and scared the crap out of me. I'm not familiar with the 2011 V6 but feel around behind the intake tube and make sure the plug is connected to the sensor. Maybe it needs to be cleaned but other than that, I'm a noob.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's nothing disconnected in there that I can see. I went ahead and ordered a new throttle body since all my online research with people with similar issues says throttle body. Found a Ford dealer online that had the stock part for $185. Local dealer wants $337 plus tax just for the part, and they don't even have it in stock. Unfortunately I won't have it until late next week. Can we still even drive the car with this issue? Kinda puts a damper on the whole driving to work thing until that parts shows.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I doubt if the surging is mild you are doing harm but if you are looking for an excuse to buy a code reader they are rather cheap to have and when you do get a check engine light it may help. Your friends will be glad they can borrow it too. I've started asking for a beverage each time I lend it out. I figure in a couple of years it'll be paid for.

good luck

·
Registered
352 Posts
As far as a code reader just stop at any autozone and they will borrow you one to plug in and read the codes.

If you are going to replace the TB you probably want to look at BBK's aftermarket replacement over an OEM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I will probably take it to autozone tomorrow and see if they can check the code.

Going to stick with the stock throttle body though. That BBK is a little spendy and we don't plan any other mods for this car. My wifes car after all. It has the 3.31 in it though but we bought it with that.

·
Banned
800 Posts
There's a lot of guys on here that have changed out their throttlebodies for aftermarket ones.... If you really think that is the issue, I would try to get a take off from someone here...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Most definately get the code scanned, this will narrow down your issue greatly! I would have verified the dealership cleaned your TB, Clean your MAF sensor with MAF cleaner, then reset the CPU by leaving the negative side unplugged for 15-30 minutes (maybe shorter) to relearn before I ordered anything. Have you checked your air filter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taking it to autozone later to get the code scanned.

I think the dealership cleaned the TB. I didn't see what it looked like before, but it looks completely clean to me now.

I haven't cleaned the MAF, but it doesn't look dirty to me at all. Looks damn near brand new.

Air filter was replaced recently, and is still very clean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was just about to take it to Autozone, and it activated limp-home twice before I could even get down the end of my street, so I just decided to drive home. Same behavior each time, it never has a check engine light, just the electronic throttle control wrench light.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Chances are it's your Throttle Body. I had the same issue with my car at 36700 miles. The ford dealer had it for a week. They contacted Ford and they told them to change the Throttle Body. I haven't had the issue since. It wasn't throwing a code or anything. Take it to the dealer or change the Throttle Body yourself.
That should fix your issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I've got a throttle body on order from AutoNation Ford in Minnesota. Should be here Wednesday. Way cheaper than my local dealers wanted for the part.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Last night my car did exactly what you described. For the past week it has been surging and finally last night the wrench light came on and the car was running rough. The first thing I did was check the throttle body but it was spotless. Def let me know how this turns out for you so I know the direction to go

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TB is on the truck for delivery, so I should know something at some point today! I'll post back

J

·
0 Posts
How's voltage? Battery going dead lately? I had similar behavior when an alternator was dying.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Check you're fuses when installing my nitrous kit we blew the airbag fuse putting the csr in limp home mode

1 - 20 of 22 Posts