Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2005 mustang v6 with 112000 miles on it a month ago. Sinse the purchase my stang has started to stutter/hesitate going into/out of a gear making a noise as it does, but it doesnt do it constatly. Sometimes it runs great and other times it stutters into and out of every gear. I changed the spark plugs, and wow they were in horrible shape. After i changed the plugs out it seemed to go away almost completely for a while but then it came back with aggression! I went to the transmisssion shop got the fuild and filter changed. The guy said my tranny was fine and good working order. Now after that i ran seafoam spray through the TB and that didnt help either. I've already replaced the alternator, and that helped for a little while to. I really need to resolve this problem before thursday when i take it to the mechanic. Because I've dropped close to 800 of my graduation money( that was going to mods) on trying to fix this dang car. ......And seems like my gas mileage is getting worse

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
spraying sea foam into the throttle body is not like a good cleaning. did you change your fuel filter? pull the plugs back out and see if they all look the same. could have a bad or loose wire. wiggle the pcv tube while its running, a vacuum leak can cause serious roughness. are you getting a engine light?

R

·
0 Posts
You could try cleaning your MAF, and maybe replace your air filter as well. I assume you've changed the motor oil and its filter? Is this car an automatic?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I have changed the plugs, plug wires, and about to do a fuel filter this weekend. But i changed all of those things AFTER i ran the seafoam out of the engine. I cleaned the mass air-flow sensor today and it helped a little bit. The air filter is a brand new drop in K&N. The Vacuum leak is a very high possibility considering one wreaked havoc on my bronco. Though which line do i wiggle?.....Well its a automatic so i couldn't check the transmission fluid...soooo i have not changed the oil and oil filter...i just changed the transmission fluid.http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok just got back from the exhaust shop with some interesting news. 1st My pypes dual M80 ehuast was a success. 2nd The rear cat converter on the passenger side is alomst completely gone. As in half of it was blow out of the tail pipe. Now i remember a loud bang and a blinking engine light around the time my car problems started. Do ya'll think this could be my problem? My gas mileage is horrible now too

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just a thought,you say you changed the plugs and wires. Did you look at the contact points in the coil pak,you know , where you plug the wires into?
One of the ends of my spark plug wires (JBA) was about 1/8 inch shorter than the rest and one of the coils' plug openings had a brass contact missing.
Didn't miss all the time but got to a point I was afraid to pass anyone. Thought it was the gas. Put the stock coil pak back on,new stock wires and plugs and now it runs great. With the mileage you have it might ,might be your coil pak. I don't know how you could check it out though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it might be the coil cause it is stock and didnt notice the difference in the wires

·
Registered
76 Posts
With 112,000 miles on the car it could be quite a few things.

And a definate possibility is that cat you were talking about. With no back pressure the car can definitely become possessed by the devil and do very odd things.

Fuel injectors could be bad. Spark plug wires could be toast. Cylinders could be performing less than optimal.

My thoughts are if you're having any engine lights come on then you should buy yourself a code reader to put into the OBD II port. They don't cost that much and at 112,000 miles it will definitely pay for itself through the course of your ownage of the vehicle.

DTC or Diagnostic Trouble Codes will give you a good place where to start looking. After pulling the code you might have to google what the code means or you could always call up the dealer and ask real quick.

Also it could be an issue with the torque converter that is mated in between the tranny and engine.

Before you go any further with spending money on modules or whatever I suggest you get that Cat fixed and then go from there.

Cat's are expensive but you might as well replace both of them at 112,000 miles or you might not pass smog and will go through a whole lot of work just to have the other one blow too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually got some pypes high flows put on in place of my old cats. As far as codes go I threw a lean code right b4 i got my new cats put on but it went away after a day. That happening got me to thinking....either A.) exhuast leak B.) bad 02 sensors (idleing low) C.) Or my coil. The code was lean on bank2 ( same side I blew the cat out) so I figure the O2's are going out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts