Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have had this problem many many times and im freekin sick of it it has been every thing frome the wrong gas or wet coil pack boots or bad plugs....but it started doing it agen the other day so i sprayed some wire dryer on my conections and kept it in ac all night the next day it was perfict...1 day laytor it was worse so i took the packs off and plugs out and cleaned them and greesed the seel on the boots now instead of doing it at low rpms its doing it when i get on it... like tody 1st gear 25 mph put my foot down the tires started spining then at about 4000rpm,s it just had nothing it felt like traction control was steping in and it did that in every gear..... PLEASE HELP im all out of ideas and im going insane

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Sure sounds like an ignition problem to me. Obviously you were able to dry it out some and get improvement.

Start first by cleaning the spark plug wells. The design of the SOHC 4.6 has the plug wells pointing straight up. Any dirt or moisture collects at the bottom and can ground out the spark. CLEAN them. This has the added benefit of keeping dirt out of the combustion chamber whenever the spark plugs are removed.

Consider getting a replacement set of COP boot insulators from Autozone (Durlast). A full set of (8) costs less than a single coil.

Are there any coolant leaks on or around the motor? How's the intake? Any leaks?

How about the fuel filter?

When was the last time the MAF was cleaned?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lots of simple things to check as mentioned by wmburns. After that if you're still having probelms, you should collect a datalog and see what's going on with your fuel pumps, spark and injectors to see if something is going on in the tune

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new info

Sure sounds like an ignition problem to me. Obviously you were able to dry it out some and get improvement.

Start first by cleaning the spark plug wells. The design of the SOHC 4.6 has the plug wells pointing straight up. Any dirt or moisture collects at the bottom and can ground out the spark. CLEAN them. This has the added benefit of keeping dirt out of the combustion chamber whenever the spark plugs are removed.

Consider getting a replacement set of COP boot insulators from Autozone (Durlast). A full set of (8) costs less than a single coil.

Are there any coolant leaks on or around the motor? How's the intake? Any leaks?

How about the fuel filter?

When was the last time the MAF was cleaned?
ok new information i just cleaned the MAF it does not leak at all im not sure bout the filter but it fires instantley so i dont think thats bad .......but its throwing DTC,s p1000,p1100 and p0122 any idea what that could mean....?.....................

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
ok new information i just cleaned the MAF it does not leak at all im not sure bout the filter but it fires instantley so i dont think thats bad .......but its throwing DTC,s p1000,p1100 and p0122 any idea what that could mean....?.....................

P0122 - Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Low Input
Description:
The TP sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for a low TP rotation angle (or voltage) input through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during key ON engine OFF or key ON engine running the TP rotation angle (or voltage) changes below a minimum calibrated limit, the test fails.

Possible causes:
TP sensor not seated properly
TP circuit open to PCM
VREF open to TP sensor
TP circuit short to GND
Damaged TP sensor
Damaged PCM

Diagnostic Aides:
A TP PID (TP V PID) reading less than 3.42% (0.17 volt) in key ON engine OFF, continuous memory or key ON engine running indicates a hard fault.

P1000 - Monitor Testing Not Complete
Description:
The on board diagnostic II (OBD II) monitors are performed during the OBD II Drive Cycle. The DTC will be stored in continuous memory if any of the OBD II monitors do not complete.

Possible causes:
  • Vehicle is new from the factory
  • Battery or PCM had recently been disconnected
  • An OBD II monitor failure had occurred before completion of an OBD II drive cycle
  • PCM DTCs have recently been cleared with a scan tool
  • PTO circuit is shorted to VPWR or B+ or PTO is on during testing
Diagnostic Aides:
The DTC does not need to be cleared from the PCM except to pass an inspection/maintenance test.

P1100 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Intermittent
Description:
The MAF sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for sudden voltage (or air flow) input change through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during the last 40 warm-up cycles in key ON engine running the PCM detects a voltage (or air flow) change beyond the minimum or maximum calibrated limit, a continuous memory diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored.

Possible causes:
  • Poor continuity through the MAF sensor connectors
  • Poor continuity through the MAF sensor harness
  • Intermittent open or short inside the MAF sensor.
Diagnostic Aides:
While accessing the MAF V PID on the scan tool, lightly tap on the MAF sensor or wiggle the MAF sensor connector and harness. If the MAF V PID suddenly changes below 0.23 volt or above 4.60 volts, an intermittent fault is indicated.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Drive cycle for clearing the P1000 code

The attached file is from the Ford Service DVD for 2000-2004 Vehicles explanation of the Drive Cycle required to clear the P1000 code:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts