Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
I replaced all the factory speakers, and got a Kenwood MP3 capable headunit with XM radio. It's GREAT! But I'd like to add an amp and a sub or 2. I've got a 91 GT convertible. Could I put one or 2 on the front of the bottom of the rear seat? Know where I mean? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Are you talking about the little shelf that goes from the seat to the floor? I dont know if that would hold a speaker.. the way the underside slants up like that, i think you would cut thru to the outside. I know there is a company that makes 2 subs in a "camoflage" appeal. They are shaped like the wheel wells in your trunk. When you open the trunk you see the exact same thing except your wheel wells stick out a little farther and it will cost you some but little trunk space.
Anyone know the name right of the top of their heads?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vortex said:
Are you talking about the little shelf that goes from the seat to the floor? I dont know if that would hold a speaker..
Yeah, that's where I meant. Won't work huh? Right then next idea. THese wheel well sub boxes. THey mount in the trunk? Will they work with a convertible? How do they sound being in the trunk? Anyone? Thanks again,

keenr

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
havent heard em.. but an 8 in the trunk sounds fine to me.. and yeah. works in a vert. I saw it at Safari Audio.. dont know if they're national or what...

·
Registered
26 Posts
putting subs in the trunk (rather than the interior) doesn't really have a detrimental effect. Bass sound travels through things like seats well and isn't nearly as directional, meaning that you can't tell where its coming from as well as you can higher frequncies.
I'm not familiar with the pre 1994 stangs, but if the seats fold down like in the 94/later cars you can make a sub box that will fit in the trunk and fire into the interior when the seats are folded down. I did this on my 96 and it looked really cool. just make sure the box will fit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Vortex said:
I know there is a company that makes 2 subs in a "camoflage" appeal. They are shaped like the wheel wells in your trunk. When you open the trunk you see the exact same thing except your wheel wells stick out a little farther and it will cost you some but little trunk space.
Anyone know the name right of the top of their heads?
JL Audio makes the custom subs for the mustang. Make sure when you get them that if you have a convertible you get the right ones. I have been looking all over for a decent set of subs for my car. With the vert, I am short on trunk space so I am thinking of going with the JL Audio. However, if you are good with speaker enclosures, you could always build your own custom box MUCH cheaper than the JL customs. They are very pricey, last I checked at least.

·
Registered
3 Posts
two 12" in the trunk wheel well

Earlier this summer I made a fibreglass box that fit snuggly into the wheel well enclosure of my 94 convertible v6 pony. I had a pair of 12" Crankenstiens and a US Acoustics 60x2 amp. The components were cheap but the sound was not. It was crystal clear and very loud and full and powered by a JVC KDsh707 mp3 deck which has the dedicated sub outs. HOWEVER, when the top is down, the bass is greatly diminished by more than half. I figure its because the subs were pointing straight up and with the top down the bass rebound waves cancelled each other out. It might have also had to do with the lack of free air as well. In any event, I took it out cause I lost a lot of trunk space (about 2" all around above the well). The box is for sale now, 150$ (that covers cost) including shipping anywhere in the US. I absolutely gaurantee the box will work for you with even the cheapest subs and you can even return it if you dont want it. My next project is the deathbox by decware that is supposedly great for cars. Its a bandpass/freeair box. If I ever do the wheel well box again I would do it with the speaker pointed towards the cab.

Let me know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.