Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to add a sub to stang here is my plan. What do you guys think ?

I'm going to be using a audio control Lc2i

Link
AudioControl LC2i 2-channel line output converter for adding amps to your factory system at Crutchfield.com

Going to be tapping in to the rear speakers Or the amp powering the 8s up front
Not sure what's better to tap in ?
I have a shacker 500

For an amplifier I'm going to be using a phoenix tantrum 1200.1 It's a monster 1400 wats @ 2 ohm. I've had this amp in my closet for 6 years. Time to bring it out and put it on the stang....
Link
http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Manuals/Amplifiers/Tantrum/ta1200.1manual.pdf

I haven't decided on a cap yet. Recommendation

Going to a single
Link
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

The reason Why i selected this sub was price and best match up for my amps power out put. I've never heard in person but I keep reading good things about This sub.

For a box I'm going to use a
Link
Custom Sub Enclosure | Affordable Sub Box
I hope it's a good box. Anybody used them before ?

Install will be soon.

Any recommendation besides upgrading the 6/8s that's next on the hit list.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If you want to get that sub woofer, you need to get the Dual 2 Ohm Voice Coil version, the reason is the amplifier is a 4ohm stable amp so the sub woofers will have to be wired up to 4 ohms to get the power that you are looking for. Additionally, look at the voltage to get that power, you will be grossly under powering the Type X which is 1000w RMS and 3000 peaks, so you need an amplifier at least 1500W RMS @ 12.2V. Check out the Alpine MRX-200 to power that sub woofer. Also keep in mind those subs need a large box to work correctly and have a 9 11/16" mounting depth which takes up a lot of displacement. I am an Alpine dealer here in kansas so if you have any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have the same enclosure, fits perfectly with a single 12" Alpine Type R. As for the Audio Control unit, it will work with no issues. I used the LC6i simply because eventually I plan on amplifying the door and deck speakers. This will give me a total of 6 channels, 2 for the sub and 4 for the front/rears.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I pulled signal from my rear deck speakers..

I have that going into a Audiopipe Monoblock that I picked up for I think $180 on ebay, here is the product though: Audiopipe AP18001D 1800 Watt Class D Monoblock Amplifier

I have power running from the battery directly to it with a breaker terminal under the hood in case of a short or something.

I have that powering a single 12" Kicker L7 wired @ 1Ohm and it hits HARD..

I upgraded my door speakers and have found that I don't need more power to them (ATM).. so I didn't need to add the line output control module. I will if I decide to go big... but this is more than fine for now.

PM me if you've got questions on anything.. I've been installing stereos for a decade now for my family and friends and have a pretty good grasp on techniques and such that might be helpful to you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to wire the sub for a 2 ohm Load my amp is 2 ohm stable and it puts out around 1400 watts rms from what I remember on the birth sheet
And the box is going to be 1.25 ft seald. Should be enough just hoping the magnet has enough clearance

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Figure out the MD of the box, generally a few inches will suffice.

·
Registered
538 Posts
What do you mean by MD ?
Mounting depth.

Atleast Im pretty sure thats what he means.

You will want 2" of clearance from the back the magnet to the back of the box. The vent needs room to breathe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That make sense ... It's not going to be ported or vented ..
How much Clarence do you need if it's going to be in a sealed box ? Or what's recommended

·
Registered
25 Posts
JP13GT....I ordered one and it doesnt fit my 13 GT. I havent spent any extra time with it yet but the test fit wasnt very good at all.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm getting ready for more audio upgrades as well. Currently have Focal separates in the front and focals in the rear deck with a JBL MS-8 amp/processor. Thinking of a Zed Leviathan III and a single 12" sub. From what I've been reading on the car audio forums people aren't using caps any more. This may be due to the more efficient class "D" amps, not sure. I haven't been into car audio since the early 90's so I'm learning all over again.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yo joker i was thinking of ordering that same sub box did u get a single corner mount box?. Can u take some pics with the box inside the trunk and explain the fitment issues?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes. I put it in today. The if you angle it right and push it...it will fit. I put new Rockford fosgate 5x7s in the rear deck also. It just doesnt hit like I thought it would. I tapped into the 5x7s in the rear deck...to be honest I cant even hear the rear deck speakers. I will snap a few shots of it tomorrow. I used the ZED corner box with a Rockford fosgate 12 p3 and a rockford fosgate P500.1 mono amp.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Joker let's see some install pics plz lol im interested in this same box .over how's the fit and what did u do to secure it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.