Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
130k miles. Was getting check engine code from time to time for purge valve and when I would get gas car would act like it was about to die. I have also notice a noise that sounds almost like a vac noise that makes a high and low sound sporadically as I drive.

Went to a shop and they looked at it and said it's an o2 sensor.

Just reading online I'm thinking of doing the following maintenance:

- Ngk Iridium spark plugs.
- o2 sensor replaced.
- Fuel filter replaced.
- Transmission flush and filter.
- MAF & throttle body cleaned.

Not sure if I will have the shop do this or do it myself. Maybe some of the easier ones I could do.

Just trying to get the car to operate better. Seems like its bogged down or just lacking power.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
I would have the gas cap checked and the purge system looked at more in depth.

As far as your list is concerned I would delete fuel filter from the list unless you plan on getting into the fuel tank. The filters rarely get clogged unless you get rubbish pumped from contaminated underground tanks.

You might want to get more input than mine about the transmission flush. Some other members do not embrace doing it because they say is can back flush and damage valve body components. Personally I've flushed transmissions without any ill effects and it is the most effective method to replace fluid.

Plugs should be replaced at 100,000 miles. Strictly a maintenance action vs drive to fail. Word of caution on plugs. When removing the connectors from the COPs be careful not to break the locking tabs. And lightly apply anti-seize on the threads of the replacement plugs.

If you can't get good access for the 02 sensor have a shop do it.

Airstream components are easy tasks.

Add cabin filter and engine air filter to the list if you haven't replaced them recently.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
I think there are some threads on here about the purge valve; not sure but I think that is in the fuel filler and sometimes they get stuck or clogged or something, especially if you top-off the tank, or something like that.

Not sure what year your car is, but my 2010 does have an in-line fuel filter (located under the car) that should be changed every 30K miles, so if your car has that then it's a good idea to change it.

I would stick with the OEM spark plugs, but I think the NGK Iridium might be the same plugs at a lower price?

The MAF and throttle body are easy to do yourself, just be sure to use the right cleaner, labeled for that purpose.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If the car is having trouble after fill up it is probably the purge valve. If it is stuck open it gives the car a flooded affect by dumping gas fumes in the intake manifold.
I just put the 16 plugs my truck requires and from everything I was told was to go Motorcraft, unless you are running a Turbo or Supercharger you just get the stock plugs.
No fuel filter on our cars either, just the one in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Ford workshop manual data on fuel system

Attachments

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been running 93 shell gas and the check engine is still off and it's been doing good after fill ups. But throttle response just feels sluggish.

·
Registered
424 Posts
With 130K miles I would be replacing all other fluids including brake fluid and differential oil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well they replaced my plugs today was around $300 but the plugs were pretty bad. I asked the guy about MAF cleaner and he got nervous about doing it with the cleaner in the can I supplied, and in turn told me they have a different way of cleaning the throttle body and fuel system???

We did encounter some differential fluid on my rear end so we cleaned it off and are gonna see if it leaks more or if it was possibly just over filled at some point.

Outside of plugs they didnt suggest any other routine maintenance.

The o2 sensor they said I could replace now or later on when I do exhaust(borla s type, bbk short headers, x pipe.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts