Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post for me guys bear with me. I've read pretty much every page on the 4cyl. to 8cyl swap to the point its all miss mashed in my noggin. I've listened to the majority and found a donor for my conversion built on 06/92 auto. gt car. not molested just pillfered for trim and cluster. My project is a 04/92 5spd. 4cyl. with this in hand is there a paticular problems i may run into. i thought i did pretty good getting the same year cars. the 8cyl. is just a total but i have complete car in hand. i would like to keep the project a 5 spd but i understand i will have to swap ecms. i don't want to use the stock t5 either. i do have laying around a rebuilt tremec wc. it is from an 1988 lx i once had. will this make a difference in computer choice? one more thing i read several times but did not quite understand a few of the guys talked about "moving pins" in the harnesses to use their 4cyl harness with the 8cyl harness which is better/easier. if its easier to use the v8 stuff how much of the harness is needed? just the engine harness under the hood to the ecm or do i need to aquire the harness inside the car behind the dash?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
you can use the automatic computer in a 5speed car. i have one in mine.

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
use the 8cyl. automatic computer with the tremec 5spd transmission i have? i know problems are inevitable but im just trying to cover as many angles as possible before i take out the first bolt. im looking for this to be a enjoyable project not a nightmare.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You can use the automatic computer with a manual tranny, just not an automatic with a manual computer.

You can use that WC tranny you have and it shouldn't give you a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how about pilot bearing and flywheel? and my donor car doesn't have a instrument panel cluster. where would be a good place to get one and will it matter from year to year? id like to score a 140 or 160mph.even better have you heard of anyone putting in a digital dash?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.