Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm getting a 1998 Mustang GT in a week or so, and I have began looking into upgrades. Here's what I have so far...

K&N CAI
75mm Throttle Body
Underdrive Pulleys
BBK Shorty Headers
4.10 Gears

I eventually want to get a supercharger, but again I'm just getting the car so it will be a little while before I can afford one lol.

So I want to know what you guys think about my list and if you have any suggestions. Please feel free to go all out on suggestions! Thanks guys it really helps!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would toss a xpipe, lm1's (or the catback of your choice), and a tuner in there (def need the tuner though) go with the sct x3.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well this all depends on your budget. From the sounds of it buying the car is strapping you a bit. Im going to save you money right off the bat and tell you that the shorty headers is a waste of money. CAI and TB would help a little, but not a lot. I did all that to mine as well as a cat back years ago hoping for noticable power, but was disappointed (either that or I was jaded by speed). As far as udp's I've never owned any so not sure. One thing I know about the 98's is the heads dont flow as well as the 99-04's. I know people do head swaps on those. May want to see if you can find some heads at a junkyard. Might get lucky that way. The 4.10's are the first thing you should do. Re gearing will have the most benefit for the buck. Might want to consider 3.73's also. Still give good torque, but more economical and dont wrap your engine out as much. Good luck man

·
Registered
547 Posts
i love sn95 cars. looks like you have 5 more HP than my 96. not for long though.:gringreen i dont know about bang for the buck, but your definately going to get the best bang from the pi head and intake swap. until you do that, you wont be satisfied. gears will help alot, put they arent a replacement for HP. 45+ with the pi swap.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I get those 98 heads swapped out for the 99-04 heads, ANDERSONFORDMOTORSPORT.COM has a swap kit for around $1900.00

·
Registered
357 Posts
I swap out those 98 heads for the 99-04 heads and intake manifold, ANDERSONFORDMOTORSPORT.COM has them for around $1900.00

·
Registered
547 Posts
you can do it for much cheaper than that if you get used heads and intake. if you get new ones, ya your gonna pay about 2 grand.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey guys, I'm getting a 1998 Mustang GT in a week or so, and I have began looking into upgrades. Here's what I have so far...

K&N CAI
75mm Throttle Body
Underdrive Pulleys
BBK Shorty Headers
4.10 Gears

I eventually want to get a supercharger, but again I'm just getting the car so it will be a little while before I can afford one lol.

So I want to know what you guys think about my list and if you have any suggestions. Please feel free to go all out on suggestions! Thanks guys it really helps!
First off unless you have a well modified engine needing alot of power you dont need the 75mm throttle body, you wont benefit from it enough unless you get that supercharger then its a good idea, but if your planning on puttin in a S/C then dont get the underdrive pullies because they cant work together, you need the stock pullies for the S/C to work. I have the BBK shorty headers and they ARNT a waste of money, they wont give you alot of gains without a S/C but the sound will always make you happy haha, the 4.10 gears are a little steep so if its a manual tranny then go with 3.73's i have those in and they are still real nice without making things unpractical

·
Registered
65 Posts
P I heads and intake, subframe connectors, 3.73 gears, and lose the stock exhaust...the cats are very restrictive, from there you are only limited by the depth of your wallet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
P.I swap for sure, im doin mine next week =0) Finally Yes!! You'll pick up atleast 50rwhp from that, follow it up with long tubes, o/r x pipe and a tune and youll be straight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What exactly does the subframe do? Never heard of it o_O lol. And what exhaust would you recommend?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The subframe connectors keep the body ridgid...reduce chassis flex to improve traction and handling. As far as exhaust, opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one. Go on youtube and listen to sound clips till you find the sound you like. The posts tell you what exhaust they are running. If you live in a state with strict emmissions, you may want to go with a catted x-pipe. Otherwise think off road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the subframe connectors are worth it then? Aight man, I'll go check youtube then. Thanks for your help btw it really means alot.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'd just go with a regular K&N drop-in filter. Good call on the 4.10s, thats the first big investment I'd make. I personally would skip the TB, any kind of CAI, and the UDPs, as I've never seen the kind of gains that justify the cost (we're talking one mod at a time, not all together.)

As others suggested, spend that money on replacing the 6-cat mid-pipe with either a high-flow catted or offroad X/H pipe. That's another great bang for the buck mod.

I'd say save for a headswap, but if you're planning on a supercharger down the road, the higher compression won't be blower friendly.

If you insist on something more than just a K&N on the intake side, I've heard some good things about the plenum/TB combos, but I have no solid evidence, and they make only be worth the $$$ on the higher flowing PI headed engines.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aight thanks guys, ya'll have been a huge help! I figure I'm looking at around $1,200 for all the parts other than the PI Head/Intake swap, which will be another $1,300-$1,500 new... Unless I can find some used on Ebay or somthing. Like I said thanks guys and I hope this helped others as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
PARKAWAYPERFORMANCE.com full pi swap 1400 all new best deal out there it comes with everything gaskets brackets hoses everything you need check it out thats where im getting mine =)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to let you guys know I had to get a 1996 not the 98 like I had planned. But hey, this one runs better so I'm happy :D Thanks for all your help too, it means alot! :bigthumbsup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.