Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have flowmaster 40 mufflers with roush tips and roush 2 inch exhaust system.

I am currently saving up for either headers or cams, but would like advice as to which i should invest in first. Then which brand you reccomend with roush exhaust and flowmaster 40 mufflers.

2005 GT Roush stage 2
AFE CAI

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
From what I've heard headers and cams kind of go hand in hand...headers help you get more power out of a cam install. One of those "good separately but really good together" type things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sound differences?

Which upgrade by itself will provide the loudest/most head-turning noise. It's headers right? If so which sounds better, shorty or long tubes?

·
Registered
212 Posts
long tubes.. don't waste your cash on shortys. Just get electric cut-outs if all you're looking for is volume. way cheaper than LT headers...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Or an offroad midpipe...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
+1 on not wasting your money on longtubes. You should do a search on cams. There are a lot of really cool lopey sounding ones out there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Long tubes and cams will give you both the sound and the added HP. The cams do best with improved exhaust flow at higher RPM .

I have long tubes, catted h and FR500 muffler. When I go WOT it's LOUD

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm, reading all of these.. If I go with Ford Racing Hot Rod Camshafts by themselves (for now).. How do ya'll believe they will improve the sound and performance until I save up for headers?

Oh and to help ya'll brainstorm how just those camshafts without the headers (for now) would do.. Here are my other current upgrades so far: I currently have Flowmaster 40's, Roush 2 inch piping && the roush square tips. Oh and an AFE MagnaForce CAI.

Thank you all! I don't have much money so I'm trying to make the best decisions I can as I go!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hmmm, reading all of these.. If I go with Ford Racing Hot Rod Camshafts by themselves (for now).. How do ya'll believe they will improve the sound and performance until I save up for headers?

Oh and to help ya'll brainstorm how just those camshafts without the headers (for now) would do.. Here are my other current upgrades so far: I currently have Flowmaster 40's, Roush 2 inch piping && the roush square tips. Oh and an AFE MagnaForce CAI.

Thank you all! I don't have much money so I'm trying to make the best decisions I can as I go!

The Hot Rods will give you a nice choppy idle, They're good for 15-20rwhp, Headers will net the same.

You can find descent prices on used headers if you dig around the Mustang forums. I found a set of Borla LT's for 400 ..

It's a little harder to find cams.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Borla LongTubes

The Hot Rods will give you a nice choppy idle, They're good for 15-20rwhp, Headers will net the same.

You can find descent prices on used headers if you dig around the Mustang forums. I found a set of Borla LT's for 400 ..

It's a little harder to find cams.

Wait, you have Borla Longtubes? I have heard of Borla's amazing mufflers..&& heard about (seen videos of) Corvettes having Borla headers.. But I've never heard of Mustangs with the Borla-brand of longtube headers. Oh and for $400?!? That's an amazing price for such a respected brand-name. My questions are: How good are they, do you think they are better than Hooker/JBA? Do they fit all OEM parts on a 2005 Mustang Gt? How much was installation? Oh and last but not least.. Do they make those honda civic trashcan-tipped phoneys tremble in their cute little tin-cans when you punch it😉 hahah

Thank you for your time, (by the way anyone can chip in and give
Me advice on this) sorry for the million questions! Ya'll are all helping tons!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts