Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a set of Tri Y headers that will fit in a 66 coupe with an early model 302 block, aluminum heads and a top loader 4 speed. I will most likely use a 2 1/2" system with H pipe and flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Am I correct in my thinking that tri y's are for the low end torque and long tubes are for high rpm HP? Is anyone running tri y's in a 1966 302? I want to make sure the headers clear the 164 tooth bell housing/clutch components.

Any Suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
The Tri-y's are better than the stock exhaust manifolds all the way around, the Tri-Y's are not supposed to be as good as the full-lenth headers on the top end, you should have less heat under the hood with the Tri-Y's and less interference issues with clutch linkage than the regular headers, This is my opinion. You should be able to Google them and several of the Mustang or Ford websites will have articles on them. Good Luck.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there only a few choices in Tri Y headers or are they just not used as often as long tube? I am more interested in low end torque since I will not be racing the new motor at high rpms. Can you run long tube headers with an H pipe and get good low end power?

Anyone using Tri Y headers?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
JPM you are correct in your understanding; Tri-Y's are 'torqier' than 4-into-1 headers and are most suited with an H pipe. While you usually don't get as much peak power with a Tri-Y, they can produce a wider power band than a lot of the 4 into 1 headers. If you are just wanting to build a good street motor, you should really consider the Tri-Y design.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am using Doug Thorley Tri Y headers with an H pipe on my 67 mustang with a C4. The exhaust is only 2 1/4 but i am looking to upgrade to 2 1/2. I am also using the flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I love the setup and sound. Great torque output.

·
Registered
318 Posts
with performance mods like alum heads and what tends to go with them you should get long tubes for the air flow you added to the engine

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a set of try y headers on my 65. I have 2.5'' pipes, flowmaster 40s and no h pipe. Sounds real nice, has great low end torque as well as good mid range. This car is my baby and don't like to rev it too high very often so they work well for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.