Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out for a little "Saturday night driving" and completely blew a shift into 3rd gear. I guess it time to finally ditch the factory shifter and spend some cash on a new shifter that actually works before I kill the transmission. (You know of course it has to be the shifters fault....)
I'm looking for peoples recommendation on what to buy for a nice (inexpensive hopefully) street shifter that will help me out on a Saturday night.
Steedas Tri-Ax and the Pro-5.0 seem to be on the top of the popular list. I've tried to read up on shifters a little in the past and stiff, notchy, rattles alot, hard to shift, etc come up in different discussions. It seems as if each brand has its pros and cons. There are also some off brand "billet" ones with adjustable stops that look pretty good out there that are half the price of the name brand ones.
Guess I'm just looking for other peoples experiences and suggestions on what works and what doesn't. Most of what I've read has been "I've got brand X and it's great". Anyone owned or used more than one brand and can say this one's better than the other one? Anyone willing to admit they bought one they didin't like because it's rattles too much or is too hard to shift and would suggest another? Guess I'm really looking for bad experiences and which ones to stay away from. (Also, anyone had any bad experiences with the cheap knockoff versions and would say never buy them?)
On the positive side, if "brand name" is the only way to go, what are the pros and cons on the different brands.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Pro 5.0 all the way . The shift is short as hell and the shift feel is perfect.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep going back and forth between Steeda, MAC, Hurst, Pro 5.0, UPR, new versus used, etc and can't make up my mind and can't really find a whole lot of information !

I'm not racing, I just want a shifter that is more precise to make it easier for wife to drive the car and so I don't miss a quick 2-3 shift and look stupid on a Saturday night. The Steeda looks better than the MAC shifter lever position wise so I'm leaning that way.

Plus, I looked at A Pro 5.0 yesterday and was surprised to see no oil seal on the shifter base where the lever goes through. Other than some grease that's packed in there, there's no seal!! Sure looks like it's awful easy for oil to leak out and dirt to get into the transmission - seems like a bad design!!! (This design may be fine for racing, but not too good for driving in the real world every day!) Do the Steeda or other brands have a seal? (I'm not talking about the "boot" seals, but an actual oil seal down in the shifter base where the lever comes out into the rail area). I remember once seeing a picture (can't remember where or what brand) where the shifter base had an actual oil seal on the bottom to seal it - a lip type seal just like a wheel bearing.

Secondly I'm worried about noise. Reading different "reviews" I see alot about noise and rattling. Is the Steeda (or any other brand for that matter) a noisy "race" shifter that's great for racing but something you really don't want in a daily "driver"?

Just looking for some input.

·
Registered
196 Posts
TRI-AX here. Going PRO 5.0 soon with my tri-ax handle. Was informed and felt this setup alot. PERFECT COMBO.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have a Hurst here, love it, It goes from second and lines up with 3rd, never misses even when I was slammin the hell out of my old tranny.
Pro 5.0 are good too I have heard. I have driven with the Tri-AX and it was definetely nice feeling as well.

Drew

·
Registered
6 Posts
1stPny said:
TRI-AX here. Going PRO 5.0 soon with my tri-ax handle. Was informed and felt this setup alot. PERFECT COMBO.

I run the Pro 5.0 with Tri- Ax handle and love it. Anybody try the new shifter MGW has out?

·
Registered
108 Posts
89GT5liter said:
has anyone tried the B&M pro ripper? i was thinking about getting one of these
I Just put in the PRO 5.0 and it works really good better then i thought it would.
The local auto parts store wanted way to much for the B&M pro ripper.
Goodluck with yout choice..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started w/ Pro 5.0 and then to Hurst...I am now on a B&M Ripper Shifter and I like the feel of it much more than both the others. The Pro 5.0 was a good shifter but it seemed to have a wider space between the 2nd to 3rd shift than I like. The hurst was too tall but the B&M sits back towards me and is adjustable front to back. It also sits lower than both the hurst and pro 5.0.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up installing a Hurst Billet Plus (the -931 model with the handle specific to the 94-95). Like the feel of it and would definitely recommend it. Shorter throw with a more positive feel and definitely can feel where you are and what gear you're going into. And, nice and quite with no rattling!

Mainly picked it because of the seals. The bottom base has a seal to keep trans fluid from coming up/dirt from going down in to the trans and a top boot to seal it from the underside of the car and keep dirt/water from going in. I looked at a Pro 5.0 and it's open straight through with no seals. I'm not doubting it's a great race shifter, but for the real world on the street where you're dealing with dirt and water, I would definitely say the Hurst is much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.