Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2009 GT shaker 500 is giving me the dreaded cd error - battery was dead while in storage - and upon putting in a new battery the cd player is going nuts - not fixable from what I've read - and ford in Canada probably wants big $ for a new shaker 500. Sad as I wanted to keep the car mainly stock - but the cd player sounds like a machine gun now - and with the possibility of a newly installed shaker doing this down the road - I think an aftermarket unit would be best. I've disconnected the battery until I remove the unit.

I'd like to consider alternatives - it is a convertible - the speakers in the door sound good -- the ones in the back seats - ok but not great. I'd love to have a good sub in the trunk (it has no sub now) - I listen mostly to classic rock - some new stuff - no rap or stuff like that. I like full sound - good highs - good lows.

I understand I can call crutchfield - never dealt with them.

Anyone here replace their system? I'd like to put in a unit that fits perfectly in my shaker 500 space with no cutting or minimal issues, one that plays cd's, mp3s, has a hookup for usb or ssd, has bluetooth for my phone - maybe a few other things. I want something high quality. I'd like to put in a sub (or 2?) in a specific enslosure built for my mustang(not sure where to get these). I'm open to replacing the speakers in the back seat - I think the ones in the door sound good - but I know they are low impedance (2 ohms ???) - so maybe that will be a problem upgrading the head unit ?? Maybe I can get complete systems with new speakers - head unit, subs etc - in a package complete ???

Any info or suggestions for me would be appreciated. I plan to install the system myself - and hope for something that sounds substantially better.

Thanks in advance - Matt.

·
Registered
217 Posts
For minimal headaches in install you should check out Crutchfield's website. They sell kits that make the installation plug and play. I don't use a CD player, I use the mp3 player. I bought a double din unit with Garmin GPS for my 03 Crown Victoria. I use a 2TB external HDD for my music. I have 50k mp3 files and the drive is only 25 percent full.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went with the KENWOOD DMX 7706S without the CD player but I believe they make a version with the CD. It sounds better than the stock unit and really brought my stock speakers to life. It’s got a back up camera, Bluetooth and pairs with my iPhone to play my Apple Music. I’m very pleased with it.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
These systems have separate amplifiers for speakers and are complicated. So if you don't make changes correctly you can run into many problems.

My 2005 came with a "regular" shaker, not the 500, and the PO had replaced the head unit with an aftermarket. The new unit was terrible and produced a nasty loud "pop" when turned on. I purchased a used Ford head unit on Ebay for very little money and installed that instead.

You can also look on ebay for guys that rebuild the factory head units.

Probably the cheapest route would be to find a kit that lets you read off a USB thumb drive or SD card. Manufactures are moving toward this "mech-less" concept.

Reactions: moonrakercat

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I had BestBuy geek squad do mine. They, at least the store I deal with, no what they’re doing and how to properly sort through issues regarding connectors and factory amps.
I also used Best Buy for the install for my daughter's car. They did a good job and were much cheaper than car stereo shops.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
For minimal headaches in install you should check out Crutchfield's website. They sell kits that make the installation plug and play. I don't use a CD player, I use the mp3 player. I bought a double din unit with Garmin GPS for my 03 Crown Victoria. I use a 2TB external HDD for my music. I have 50k mp3 files and the drive is only 25 percent full.
AGREE!!! They are great to speak with on the phone... they don't oversell you and they make sure it is compatible with your existing systems!

Reactions: moonrakercat

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with the others about Crutchfield. I've been a customer of theirs for probably close to 40 years and they have never steered me wrong. When you buy from them they have all the wiring adapters and faceplates that make installation go smoother. If you do run into a problem they have tech service readily available and it is local so you can understand them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went through Crutchfield as well. Replaced my Shaker 500 unit with a Pioneer, primarily so I could have the bluetooth connection with the phone. They provide a connector kit that makes it pretty easy.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went through Crutchfield as well. Replaced my Shaker 500 unit with a Pioneer, primarily so I could have the bluetooth connection with the phone. They provide a connector kit that makes it pretty easy.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Does your pioneer use your existing amp (I believe the shaker has a separate amp correct ?) and the existing speakers ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2007 Mustang GT convertible with the same problem when I first bought it back in 2011. I decided that I would stick with the original equipment and went to Specmo to have the unit refreshed. It cost $347.00 including them removing the unit and then re-installing it after it came back from their rebuild facility. The unit worked flawlessly after that and I never had another problem with it. I owned the car 7 years. I am sure there are other facilities that repair original equipment if that is what you would really prefer. However, if you really want something different, then go for it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here's what I bought from Crutchfield two years ago for my 06 GT. The Shaker 500 was working fine but I wanted to connect my iphone, have a nice display etc.
The pioneer works great but I never had steering wheel controls on the 06 so all radio adjustments are on the front of HU or remote.
This works great with all original subs and speakers. My only issue was the length of the stock antenna cable. It was tricky getting it to fit on left side of Pioneer....was on right side of shaker.
If I was to do this again, I would make sure the HU had a larger volume knob. All buttons are small and mounted on the side.I'm sure they have newer model with steering wheel controls.
1301440NEX Pioneer AVH-1440NEX DVD Receiver
120995807 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Kit 2004-Up E, DD

120705521 Metra 70-5521 Wire Harness for Ford/Linc/Merc 03-09

120AFDI5V Metra AFDI-5V 12V-5V Converter for Ford/Linc/Merc Amp

264PASCON ReadyHarness Service Connect Passive Harness to Radio
>
Vehicle(s) info: 06 FORD MUSTANG (Install # 9006)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a 2007 Mustang GT convertible with the same problem when I first bought it back in 2011. I decided that I would stick with the original equipment and went to Specmo to have the unit refreshed. It cost $347.00 including them removing the unit and then re-installing it after it came back from their rebuild facility. The unit worked flawlessly after that and I never had another problem with it. I owned the car 7 years. I am sure there are other facilities that repair original equipment if that is what you would really prefer. However, if you really want something different, then go for it.
Yes - I'd really like to keep the system stock - however I'm concerned that I'm going to have the exact same problems again in the future. In canada - I did find someone who will fix it - but $ 400 +.

I've decided to see if I can either - find the problem myself - I still need to open the unit up - or see if I can replace the cd player only - with one from a similiar 6cd player - ie from a ford edge...If this fails - then we go aftermarket.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's what I bought from Crutchfield two years ago for my 06 GT. The Shaker 500 was working fine but I wanted to connect my iphone, have a nice display etc.
The pioneer works great but I never had steering wheel controls on the 06 so all radio adjustments are on the front of HU or remote.
This works great with all original subs and speakers. My only issue was the length of the stock antenna cable. It was tricky getting it to fit on left side of Pioneer....was on right side of shaker.
If I was to do this again, I would make sure the HU had a larger volume knob. All buttons are small and mounted on the side.I'm sure they have newer model with steering wheel controls.
1301440NEX Pioneer AVH-1440NEX DVD Receiver

View attachment 778164
Yes - I've looked at the units available - not a fan of the button type - definitely want a large volume knob if I go this way

·
Registered
3 Posts
So my 2009 GT shaker 500 is giving me the dreaded cd error - battery was dead while in storage - and upon putting in a new battery the cd player is going nuts - not fixable from what I've read - and ford in Canada probably wants big $ for a new shaker 500. Sad as I wanted to keep the car mainly stock - but the cd player sounds like a machine gun now - and with the possibility of a newly installed shaker doing this down the road - I think an aftermarket unit would be best. I've disconnected the battery until I remove the unit.

I'd like to consider alternatives - it is a convertible - the speakers in the door sound good -- the ones in the back seats - ok but not great. I'd love to have a good sub in the trunk (it has no sub now) - I listen mostly to classic rock - some new stuff - no rap or stuff like that. I like full sound - good highs - good lows.

I understand I can call crutchfield - never dealt with them.

Anyone here replace their system? I'd like to put in a unit that fits perfectly in my shaker 500 space with no cutting or minimal issues, one that plays cd's, mp3s, has a hookup for usb or ssd, has bluetooth for my phone - maybe a few other things. I want something high quality. I'd like to put in a sub (or 2?) in a specific enslosure built for my mustang(not sure where to get these). I'm open to replacing the speakers in the back seat - I think the ones in the door sound good - but I know they are low impedance (2 ohms ???) - so maybe that will be a problem upgrading the head unit ?? Maybe I can get complete systems with new speakers - head unit, subs etc - in a package complete ???

Any info or suggestions for me would be appreciated. I plan to install the system myself - and hope for something that sounds substantially better.

Thanks in advance - Matt.
I had same, super common, Just did my 06 GT, go to Crutchfield, mine cost $150 and maybe 1.5 hours, removing old, prepping and installing new, easy fix

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had same, super common, Just did my 06 GT, go to Crutchfield, mine cost $150 and maybe 1.5 hours, removing old, prepping and installing new, easy fix
Hfcatx - did you purchase the extra wiring harness for 100.00 ?? or did you splice things in yourself ?? Also - did the antenna plug fit into the new radio ? or did you need an adapter ?

Let me know ...

Matt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hfcatx - did you purchase the extra wiring harness for 100.00 ?? or did you splice things in yourself ?? Also - did the antenna plug fit into the new radio ? or did you need an adapter ?

Let me know ...

Matt.
It had a small splice kit/harness w/it, real easy to do. Yes antenna and all else fine although there is a factory/Ford 6 prong connector you won't need anymore - was for 6 CD changer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts