Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed recently after pulling in my garage that it smells like sulphur.What could cause this?I use only chevron gas and use fuel injector cleaner once a month.

G

·
could be your catalytic converters going bad as well they put out a harsh smell under load when they get ready to kick the bucket

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
+1 on the cats going bad. That's usually the first sign.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or it could be as simple as a lot of carbon buildup on the valves and intake.
I have no tune on car and run 87 octane Chevron gas,I was using 93 for the first few months.What can I do to clean the valves injector cleaner?And the car only has 50k miles on it doubt the cats are bad.

·
Registered
137 Posts
clutch smell maybee????

·
Registered
200 Posts
A burnt clutch will usually smell like burnt hair, not sulphur. Bad cats are usually what causes a sulphur smell...almost like rotten eggs. But it's probably not cats with only 50k on the clock . I'd run a bottle of the piss yellow gum-out in the tank before doing anything. Then I'd go after the EGR valve.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
brake rotors smell like sulfur when your have to slow down from 100 or so, or even 70 to 30 and the smell can last for a bit

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hmmm, just about every car I have owned has had the odor if I run it ragged. It's usually worse if I have babied it too much...then run jump on it. I thought this was pretty normal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i still say a clutch............it makes perfect sense, you run the car hard, and then there is a smell......it probly is not a major concern, since a little clutch smell is normal after driving hard, launching the car hard, etc..........i know i smell mine after most runs on the strip, not too much, but a tad bit when i get down at the far end of the track. a clutch smell does not smell to good if you have ever smelled a really burt one. JMO

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i guess i wouldnt worry too much about it unless you feel something weird or check engine light gets thrown up, i guess it wouldn't hurt to ask ford to check out your cats for you or the clutch, but i wouldnt waste the money.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
A burnt clutch will usually smell like burnt hair, not sulphur. Bad cats are usually what causes a sulphur smell...almost like rotten eggs. But it's probably not cats with only 50k on the clock . I'd run a bottle of the piss yellow gum-out in the tank before doing anything. Then I'd go after the EGR valve.
When you smell this smell is it in the rain??

brake rotors smell like sulfur when your have to slow down from 100 or so, or even 70 to 30 and the smell can last for a bit
Very true, ive had to slow down hard like that one time.. wont go into detail, but it reaked for a good 50 minutes after..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.