Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first post and primary reason for creating an actual account on here lol.

I have been bouncing back and forth between trading in my 2006 v6 premium mustang with 70k miles for a GT, or supercharging it.

I would like to supercharge the mustang because I would like to get some experience with forced induction and installing it. I plan to do it all myself with the help of my dad more than likely.

However I do not know if it is worth the value and if the supercharger will still be reliable if I use it to drive around 7,000-10,000/yr. considering a GT and v6 with a supercharger produce about the same amount of power.

Right now I am a 19 year old college student with a strong love for working on cars, however with my limited budget I am looking at a 5k-6k price tag if I plan to purchase a supercharger.

Anyone else think its a better idea to sell/trade in my v6 for a GT or should I just supercharge it?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
135 Posts
well it depends what year GT you get, you can supercharge the 06 V6, but it wont be anywhere near power output of the new 5.0s.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What year GT? 2011+? That's a pretty big jump in power that route. How much is going to a GT vs the S/C? Also, keep in mind that being 19 with a GT your insurance is going to be pretty high.

I don't know what option are available for your v6 or what it can handle as far as power. However, FI mustangs can be very reliable still if done properly.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Your 4.0 can handle the supercharger with no problems. On my 2006 I put the Xcharger Xtreme on it - with 90,000 miles on the engine and after 2 years of running a 75 shot of nitrous. When I sold that car in June 2012 and ordered my 2013 it had 203,000 miles on it and was still running mid 12's at the track (not bad for a heavy convertible).

So yes, properly installed, tuned and maintained the 4.0 will be reliable with forced induction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts