Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put a T bird SC eaton blower on a 2.3?

The blower looks to use a tube intake and also a tubular exit manifold. Should be able to fab some sort of mount and drive it off the serpintine belt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics. One it the top, showing the intake, the other is the bottom, showing it does not flow through like a traditional 6V71 classic blown detroit diesel blower.

I wonder how much boost you can get out of this?

I sure wish that they had IMG code enabled on this site

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have seen this many times back in the '90's. Do a search on Google and someone should still have the post up someplace. It would be a really easy conversion except for the cost of a tuner and 83lb+ injectors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got one from the salvage yard for $25, we'll see what we can do with it.

Just about all the other pieces are useless.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i dont think the engine will be able to power the s/c enough to create enough pressure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fact or just guessing.

I found a link to a supercharged Probe 2.2, can't find at the moment.

Here is a pic, so I know it can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
i just cant see the engine being able to power a supercharger, just because of how much strain it puts on it. maybe he doesnt have A/C in that probe.

·
Registered
579 Posts
A Eaton Supercharger will only take 22hp at full boost. I have seen 60hp Motorcycles use the Eaton Blower and Motorcycles don't even have any Torque.

·
Registered
93 Posts
thats quite interesting.

you learn something new everyday:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you look closely at that picture, that is a 6 cylinder motor. I see three plug wires on the front and three taking off to the firewall. I also see three tubes coming off the exhaust.
I'm sure putting the supercharger on is possible but a supercharger takes anywhere from 40 to 60 hp from the engine to power it. The 2.3 works hard enough. I don't see longevity coming from a supercharged motor.
Putting a turbo on the motor is free horsepower. Engine works less to make more power and best of all, there are millions of parts to add the turbo.
Just my .02 worth

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FordPro63 said:
If you look closely at that picture, that is a 6 cylinder motor. I see three plug wires on the front and three taking off to the firewall. I also see three tubes coming off the exhaust.
I'm sure putting the supercharger on is possible but a supercharger takes anywhere from 40 to 60 hp from the engine to power it. The 2.3 works hard enough. I don't see longevity coming from a supercharged motor.
Putting a turbo on the motor is free horsepower. Engine works less to make more power and best of all, there are millions of parts to add the turbo.
Just my .02 worth
Rob 40 to 60 add 200.

·
Registered
18 Posts
lawngodfather said:
Rob 40 to 60 add 200.
I agree, but when you only have 88 to 105 to start, you subtract you parasitic loss, plus add the heat factor and stress on the motor, I just don't see it lasting a long time.

G

·
I had serious thoughts of supercharging my carbureted 2.3, mainly because turbo carbureted engines don't tend to last very long (long and distinguished list includes the Turbo 4.9 Firebirds, Turbo Corvairs, and the earliest Ford 2.3 turbos) My final decision was that I'd only do it after forged internals, and all the other upgrades to the engine (header, 4-bbl intake, Holley 600cfm 4-bbl with mechanical secondairies, ported head, and a fairly radical cam from Crane or Racer Walsh) My plans included getting one of the carb enclosures that are out there (vortech would be a good source) and using a centrigual supercharger just because it'd take up less room... then I just decided to go ahead and do a V8 instead because the gas mileage and performance would be about the same from a well-built small-block V8 (I'm going with a 289), and probably with better reliability, with the only disadvantage being the extra weight.

Not going to try and discourage you from giving it a try though, as long as you've got a good bottom end (either a factory turbo 2.3 bottom-end or an aftemarket forged setup) and a good head quality head gasket, the engine should hold up. 2.3s are remarkably tough, I've been expiriementing with them (carbureted and EFI, but all naturally aspirated except for some nitrous oxide with the EFI one) for five years, and the only two things I've hurt yet are a set of rings (cylinders still had their cross-hatch pattern and pistons came out looking new) and a set of valve stem seals (should've replaced them during one of the cam swaps I did). They're damn near invincible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.