Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running 10+ psi boost on my 07GT. Its about maxed on the stock internals. When the new 5.0 came out 5-6 psi kits where available. Then SC manufacturers advertised 8psi kits. Now it appears people are running 10psi boost on the new 5.0. How is this possible given the 5.0 has 11.1 compression and sintered metal rods?

·
Registered
428 Posts
sintered rods are supposed to be lightweight and strong..very strong..I guess we'll see if theres any videos on youtube of new 5.0 internals going through the hood

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
it's the same with Cobras, the powdered cracked rods are not the weak point, it's the pistons, being non forged they just can't take alot of heat/boost...some get away with more boost but you are playing with fire

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Neither pistons nor rods are strong in the 5.0 - that engine still uses hypereutectic pistons just like the 3V but has oil cooling on the underside of the pistons (unlike the 3V) for improved longevity. Doesn't mean they're stronger though, they're still a weak link as are the rods.

The tune is everything - if you have 600 rwhp and spin the motor to the moon those pieces will fly apart just as they will in the 3V.

Likewise, if detonation occurs, kiss them goodbye. So you have to balance boost with the high cr and ensure the engine remains detonation-free PLUS keep rpm's to a conservative level in order to keep those stock pieces together.

On my new 3V, Justin Burcham tuned it where it produces a max of 18 psi of boost at 7500 rpm's using forged parts, with a 9.8 cr. But he's got an internally stock 2011 5.0 boosted one with 802 rwhp at the 11:1 cr, 20 psi, ran a best of 9.62 in the 1/4 mile, but doesn't spin it up near as high as 7500 rpm's. And to prevent detonation, it runs on 109 octane, which is good for a full extra 100+ rwhp when tuning.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I am running 10+ psi boost on my 07GT. Its about maxed on the stock internals. When the new 5.0 came out 5-6 psi kits where available. Then SC manufacturers advertised 8psi kits. Now it appears people are running 10psi boost on the new 5.0. How is this possible given the 5.0 has 11.1 compression and sintered metal rods?
I have seen some carnage of some 5.0s blowing up of various forums. I'm not sure where their breaking point is, but I know there are some people definitely passing it. I feel like those 600+hp kits are pushing it like hubkap said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts