Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a '03 4.6L and I'm thinking about doing a Kenne-Bell S/C kit, run about 6 (352whp) or 9 PSI (405whp). I have a AOD transmission do you think it could handle it? Also will the stock bottom end be safe with that amount of boost?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I got the 10 psi kit on mine and it made 420rwhp on a dyno. Ive heard the stock bottom ends are good for about 440-450 hp at the most, which i plan on building in time anyways. So yes your bottom end will be fine as long as you have a safe tune, its all bout tuning. And if your gonna get one, go with the intercooled kit, worth the extra 1500 or whatever. As far as the trans go, i think you will be alrgiht, but i have a 5spd and i havent had a problem with it. Tho ive heard my trans cant hold more than 360lbs torque, if thats the case im in trouble haha. But ill see what happens after my new clutch/flywheel setup.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hey I have a '03 4.6L and I'm thinking about doing a Kenne-Bell S/C kit, run about 6 (352whp) or 9 PSI (405whp). I have a AOD transmission do you think it could handle it? Also will the stock bottom end be safe with that amount of boost?

you have a 4r70w if its the one that came in the car. aod where earlier year autos. I have had no tranny issues so far.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
The kit cost 4999k. Installing cost $800 and tuning i think was around $500. But i also had to get a couple other things tog et all that power i wanted, so in the end after EVERYTHING extra, i pain arond 8k. But its worth it to me, i couldne be happier with my setup.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
A stock trans will eventually die. How soon depends on a number of facters.

The first thing to do is add an extra oil cooler for it. Heat kills the trans faster than anything. Keeping your oil in the 160-180* range will greatly extend it's life.

Second is something to improve the shifts. Factory shifts tend to be rather slow and soft. Keeps the old ladies happy. Unfortunatly, that creates more friction (and heat), and wears out the bands a little sooner. A firm crisp shift will decrease wear.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Shift Kit

Here's a good link to keep for the AOD-E/4R70W tranny questions:

Most Popular Products - Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC

Note the $100 shift kit Baumann offers.

BTW, the 4R70W is a TYPE of "automatic over drive" (AOD) transmission that utilizes "electronic control systems" (ie, an AOD-E). So the acronym went from a name to a description. Sigh. Its just more confusing nomenclature from Ford! I hope they don't change back to some new tranny and go BACK to calling them all "AOD-E"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.