Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm batting around the idea about supercharging my 2006 GT. I want to go with a Whipple/ FRPP supercharger putting out about 500hp. At this horsepower rating I'd probably have to upgrade and go to forged rods, pistons, etc... There is no way I could do this install myself so I'd have to pay labor. I do have a great mechanic friend whose got a heated race shop in his back yard so I guess I could take it to him in the winter for the build.

What kind of costs am I looking at to do this so I know how much I have to save?

B
0 Posts
You can run that Whipple kit on the stock block for a long time and possibly never "need" a forged rotating assembly. I ran mine for a couple years at 485 rwhp and never had a problem...I wish I would have learned to quit while I was ahead!

As for the Whipple kit, fuel upgrades, a dyno tune and installation you are probably going to look at around $8,500 or so. There are a lot of hidden/little costs when going to a forged engine and increasing the power. Its going to cost in the neighborhood of $15,000 (to do it right) unless you learn to turn wrenches real fast.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My KB supercharger cost was $5500 and was installed by a professional garage, and the labor charge was about $1100 with the tune and dyno an additional $500. All you need is for the shop to tune it conservatively.

Mine is tuned to a nice 439 RWHP, but can easily go higher on a more aggressive tune. I did it this way so I can enjoy the supercharger sooner, with full plans to get a new built shortblock next spring. I am also probably going to go with a prebuilt block and not have a local build for me.

I also did the GT500 fuel pumps which is probably what you should do if you want to get 500 HP. The part was $650 and labor was $250.

So total cost for my KB install was $8000. I would expect a whipple to be in the same ball park.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you can live with 450hp and your friend is willing the GT500 supercharger might be a good alternative you'd have money left over.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You can run that Whipple kit on the stock block for a long time and possibly never "need" a forged rotating assembly. I ran mine for a couple years at 485 rwhp and never had a problem...I wish I would have learned to quit while I was ahead!

As for the Whipple kit, fuel upgrades, a dyno tune and installation you are probably going to look at around $8,500 or so. There are a lot of hidden/little costs when going to a forged engine and increasing the power. Its going to cost in the neighborhood of $15,000 (to do it right) unless you learn to turn wrenches real fast.
15000 just for the build or is that with the initial cost of the SC/install as well as building and installing the engine? What kinda hidden costs? I'll have to do this at some point which I'm not looking forward to.

+1 on the cost. Mine ran me about 8k(SC, gauges, aftermarket tenssioner, oil sep, labor, dyno tune).

B
0 Posts
15000 just for the build or is that with the initial cost of the SC/install as well as building and installing the engine? What kinda hidden costs? I'll have to do this at some point which I'm not looking forward to.

+1 on the cost. Mine ran me about 8k(SC, gauges, aftermarket tenssioner, oil sep, labor, dyno tune).
That $15,000 is on top of the supercharger costs. If it can all be done at the same time you would obviously save a little in labor but swapping in a new short block is not cheap especially if you have to pay labor on top of it all. There are a lot of other things to consider like what gaskets, bolts and fasteners, and any other performance up grades like heads, cams, cooling, fuel, oil. All of these things should be addressed when you turn up the wick and shoot for bigger numbers.

For example, now that summer is here I have found I am boiling the coolant/water mix running through my intercooler. This means more money to drop IATs and push more colder water. I guess all you can try and do is expect the unexpected!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
There are a lot of other things to consider like what gaskets, bolts and fasteners, and any other performance up grades like heads, cams, cooling, fuel, oil. All of these things should be addressed when you turn up the wick and shoot for bigger numbers.
From my latest upgrade:
$400 ARP head studs
$340 oil pump
$150 oil pump pickup, oil pan gasket, cam bolts, valve cover gaskets
$300 head gaskets
$40 new flexplate / flywheel bolts (one-time use)
$100 (2) oil changes and filters
$900 added charge for R&R of engine with a power adder
$100 antifreeze, exhaust header gaskets

That's just a start but you get the picture...at the "little" things that add up. Notice there's no actual R&R labor for the swap, no dyno tuning, shipping costs, etc but you definitely have to factor all that in, and then some.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Does the installer at least have a good idea up front of how much it will cost? I'd be ticked off if they told me 8k, and came back with 15k.

PS Sorry to hijack this thread.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Does the installer at least have a good idea up front of how much it will cost? I'd be ticked off if they told me 8k, and came back with 15k.

I received a very, very detailed estimate upfront with all the little parts and pieces included. I don't know for sure, but doubt all installers do this because as you can see it's so easy for them to nickel and dime you to death.

B
0 Posts

To be considered " good" I would have to expect they have done this type of thing a time or two. I got a complete estimate before agreeing to do anything but in the end still had to reach into my empty pockets to dig up more coin for injectors since mine had maxed out...should have expected it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts