Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, does anyone here know if a procharged v6 will still get better economy than a GT? If so, is there any reason not to buy the $25k base mustang and supercharge it? You end up with less weight, more power, better insurance, etc. and it would also be cheaper even after the mods.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So, does anyone here know if a procharged v6 will still get better economy than a GT? If so, is there any reason not to buy the $25k base mustang and supercharge it? You end up with less weight, more power, better insurance, etc. and it would also be cheaper even after the mods.
Depends on the supercharger. The bigger the blower the more power it takes to turn.

I have an F1 on my Camaro, knocked the gas mileage down 3-6mpg's depending on weather and situation.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
A 2011+ Mustang V6 with the standard ProCharger setup should not affect the fuel economy much at all so long as you can stand to drive it with extreme restraint.

But, it takes more fuel to make more HP so if you use the power it will use the fuel to produce it.

I couldn't restrain myself on my '04 Mustang so I took the supercharger off and sold it. It's not much fun to have a supercharger on your car and then drive it like an old woman.

If you're that worried about fuel economy then don't get the supercharger.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
^^^ This. You'll be okay if you can control yourself though. A few speeding tickets and traffic school will help a lot. It helped me. I don't drive like a granny 100% of the time though, but I am a lot more careful of when and were I let 'er rip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
^^^ This. You'll be okay if you can control yourself though. A few speeding tickets and traffic school will help a lot. It helped me. I don't drive like a granny 100% of the time though, but I am a lot more careful of when and were I let 'er rip.
speeding tickets & driving school...:nono::nono::nono:
Now thats funny!!!:kooky:

Had to pick at you,,,

Ricky

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
speeding tickets & driving school...:nono::nono::nono:
Now thats funny!!!:kooky:

Had to pick at you,,,

Ricky
Sho' 'nuff! I'd driven a Tacoma for 9 years. Before that was a Park Avenue. And before that, a Courier... It was destiny that I get the ole "red-n-blues" on my bum-side! :laugh:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm going with the Vortech Supercharger on my 2011 GT/CS 5.0L and the installer assured me that If I behave my self the milage most likely would improve a little, but like most STANGERS, "that ain't gonna happen"

My Supercharger will be here in about a week and the install will start about a week after that, and after 3 days for the install and dyno I should have myself a pretty FAST street machine. With everything we're doing I'm hoping for the mid to low 11's or maybe high 10's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Next comes the NITROS! :bounce2:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Driving with restrain I get 20 mpg in the city and 24.5 mpg on the hwy. That's with 3.73's. I don't drive with restrain and I've been driving mostly in the city. I've averaged 18.5 mpg over the past couple tanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My driving is only a few miles into town occasionally.

4 lane to work about 7 stop lights between 45 and 55 mph zones then turns to 60 over 10 miles. I run 65. Then interstate for another 15 miles at 80 mph.

3.7 V6 373 gears 8 psi 6 speed

Are you sitting down? 21.9 average. That's it.

If I keep the RPM's below 2000 it will do slightly better.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Driving with restrain I get 20 mpg in the city and 24.5 mpg on the hwy. That's with 3.73's. I don't drive with restrain and I've been driving mostly in the city. I've averaged 18.5 mpg over the past couple tanks.
My driving is only a few miles into town occasionally.

4 lane to work about 7 stop lights between 45 and 55 mph zones then turns to 60 over 10 miles. I run 65. Then interstate for another 15 miles at 80 mph.

3.7 V6 373 gears 8 psi 6 speed

Are you sitting down? 21.9 average. That's it.

If I keep the RPM's below 2000 it will do slightly better.
Those are both pretty damned good considering the 3.73's and the driving style and routes.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Those are both pretty damned good considering the 3.73's and the driving style and routes.
I agree. To tell you the truth, I never got above 22 mpg stock in the city with my car. That was with the 3.31's. It's just my driving style. So adding a supercharger and 3.73's I lost 4 mpg's.

·
Registered
405 Posts
To be honest fellas, who in their right mind would drive like a granny if you plan on getting a supercharger w/ gears lol. I would drive that stang straight to the ground at ever corner lol. Daily driving would be more like a quarter mile track race home everyday.

Of course gas mileage would suffer, plus using higher 91+ octane to fuel that supercharger is gonna cost you anyways. Gas mileage is the last thing on your mind when planning an upgrade such as a supercharger. I don't even know if anyone if even capable of keepin it under 2000rpms even under city conditions lol.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
To be honest fellas, who in their right mind would drive like a granny if you plan on getting a supercharger w/ gears lol. I would drive that stang straight to the ground at ever corner lol. Daily driving would be more like a quarter mile track race home everyday.

Of course gas mileage would suffer, plus using higher 91+ octane to fuel that supercharger is gonna cost you anyways. Gas mileage is the last thing on your mind when planning an upgrade such as a supercharger. I don't even know if anyone if even capable of keepin it under 2000rpms even under city conditions lol.
You pretty much just described my daily commute.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I agree. To tell you the truth, I never got above 22 mpg stock in the city with my car. That was with the 3.31's. It's just my driving style. So adding a supercharger and 3.73's I lost 4 mpg's.
And the 3.73's are probably the biggest part of that lost mileage.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it isn't worrying about mileage on an upgrade, it's about comparing the package deal. Supercharged v6 vs Stock GT. My thoughts being that the v6 would be a better DD when driven tentatively and faster on the strip, all for less money!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Well it isn't worrying about mileage on an upgrade, it's about comparing the package deal. Supercharged v6 vs Stock GT. My thoughts being that the v6 would be a better DD when driven tentatively and faster on the strip, all for less money!
Probably not faster than a stock GT with just the supercharger. Could be with some other supporting mods.

The other advantages of the V6 would still be there, less initial cost and lower insurance cost and possible better fuel economy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts