Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have already said in another post that I recently came into some money and I might have enough to buy a shortblock and a supercharger. But now I'm thinking that maybe upgrading my brakes and wheels might be a better choice than getting a supercharger. What would be your choice if you could do one or the other? Because I'm thinking that if I get the supercharger, the stock brake setup might not be sufficient in slowing it down at the track. Now the wheels I would only change because obviously the new setup would be 5 lug instead of 4. So wheel options is not the reason I would do the swap, strictly function. And my last question is, what are the advantages of having 5 lug than having 4 lug besides wheel options?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I did the FMS Cobra brake conversion on my 92 GT and the difference is night and day, you do not have to plan ahead to stop your car LOL! There are other advantages to the SN95 Upgrade, 5 lugs are stronger than 4 obviously, you get a slightly wider track so your car handles better, you have a sealed wheel bearing/hub up front that doesnt require fooling with, many Mustangs have vibration problems up front do to the wheel bearings not being packed or tightened correct. I would spend the money on brakes, besides the benifits listed above, if you avoid an accident they will have paid for themselves. Here is a great site to look at for installing, Good Luck with your car!

www.mustangmotorsport.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
i pick the safety over the performance as well...plus..some nice cobra rims would look really nice on a fox with big 13" brakes up front behind them

plus them drums scare the hell out of me sometimes when i brake

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your input guys. can anyone give me an approximate price for how much the brake kit would cost? I want to make it disc brakes all the way around, not just the front, because I know you can change the rear to 5 lug while still keeping drums.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I use the axles from a ford ranger, how stong are they? will they be able to hold up to racing at the track? and since the ranger axles are shorter, would I be able to use deep dish 10" wide bullit rims? or will I have rubbing issues?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.