Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at trading my 2003 GT for a 2003 svt cobra. ive been doing a lot of looking around and ive found a couple of cobras that really catch my eye. the two cobras i found are different. the first one is supercharged and the other is procharged. whats the difference between a supercharger and a procharger? could someone give me the pros and cons between them and which one will give me more power? thanks for all the help!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
A procharger is a brand of supercharger. It, like a vortec, is a centrifugal supercharger which acts much like a belt driven turbo. And despite the idea that the boost will be instant with a S/C a centrifugal takes a bit to spool up like a turbo. A positive displacement style is like a twin screw or roots blower provide more rapid boost. All S/C are different, however in my case the centrifugals provide more power slightly, however they take a long time to reach the boost. For a v8 I would look to Kenne Bell or Whipple.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so your saying that the procharger takes more time to get the boost than a stock supercharger from ford? and ive also been looking at after market superchargers and ive figured out whipple and kenne bell are the way to go. ive got my mind set on a 2.2 or a 2.8 twin screw kenne bell. what does the 2.2 or the 2.8 stand for? sorry for all the questions im an up and coming mechanic and i want and need to learn all that i can

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
the superchargers will give a Displacement of cubes, like the stock M112, another 112 cubic inches. Also has liters too, a 2.2 or 2.8. So some superchargers are bigger than the engines in civics...in a way..lol.
I like the instant torque/power/boost from the roots style SC's. You can keep the numerical lower gears and be fine with them. If you get a centrifigual, then you will most likely need the 3.73's or 4.10's to help your through the lower rpms since the boost isn't at the max until higher rpms with those sc's.
If you can find some dyno sheets from different cars using those types of SC's then you'll see the difference.
The centrifigual will produce a little more power and less heat though. If you do get a KB or Whipple, make sure to get the supporting mods like 60lb injectors, BAP or GT40 pumps and a Diablo Mafia or SCT 24/2600 MAF and dyno tuned for safe/max HP.
Either car you pick, you'll have a helluva fun time with it:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
158 Posts
yeah, both would be tons of fun........i love the sounds of the twin screw and roots superchargers but am kinda partial now to the centrifugal,,, especially procharger+++ thats just because the numbers that they can put out will really surprise you...but 2005gt is right about the delayed boost, you cant really reach peak boost til late rpms,,, but when it hits,, you def feel it .but either way gotta love supercharged mustang,,,, you cant go wrong!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so if i were to put a 2.2 twin screw kb supercharger in my cobra, what are some mandatory things that i would have to do to the engine? and what are some other after market performance would could i put into it to get the most out of my car

·
Registered
158 Posts
kenne bell is pretty good for having kits that include the mandatory parts, injectors, gaskets and brackets, MAF, etc,,,,,,,, you might want to look into whether the kit you want is intercooled or if you were planning on adding one yourself. They offer intercooled or non kits, but iv heard non really isnt worth it and has a tendacy to overheat..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.