Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at adding some horsepower to the 01 svt. What are the pro's and con's of Supercharger Procharger and twin turbo's?

·
Registered
227 Posts
You have an aluminum block Cobra, Ford switched to an iron block for the 03/04 Cobras for the superchargers. Either route you go, you will using low boost. There people on the forum that know more about the differences to tell you which way to go. I wouldn't charge an aluminum block.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
money for starters. Twin turbos would be awesome but definitley not cheap. Either one you pick, you'll def need forged rods and pistons and all supporting mods. I'm in favor of the twin screw set up over centrifugal SC's though they are more efficient.
The aluminum blocks, last that i read, could take up to 800 or 1000 hp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Any advice is greater knowledge. Good or bad haha :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
158 Posts
i dont think twin turbo is necessary, since really you can run about 10 psi max on the stock block. like iv said in other posts im partial to procharger, its fairly chaep compared to other set ups, plus the numbers wont let you down...if you were thinkin turbo though, i think a single turbo on a 01 cobra would be cool, def unique...i thought about it on mine, but really couldnt find any set ups specifically for our cars....

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
My vote VORTECH! Twin turbo would make the most power but requires lots of fabrication, Procharger is a good choice too! and NO Worries with the aluminum block, they'll take all you can give them up to 1000HP!

·
Registered
158 Posts
My vote VORTECH! Twin turbo would make the most power but requires lots of fabrication, Procharger is a good choice too! and NO Worries with the aluminum block, they'll take all you can give them up to 1000HP!

yep, iv heard the same thing, the only thing is people say our rods and pistons are the weakest part of the engine on 99-01,,, how bad was it for you to replace yours?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
From my research Vortech and protech are notorious for head unit issues and the companies not being real customer focused...went with Kenne Bell on my Cobra...works good, however, if you add all the cost of supercharging/upgrades (7500+) or turbos ($5000-10,000), you will almost always be better off selling your car and buying one someone else has already modded

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I agree I couldn't see spending retail on a Vortech or Pro-Charger Kit, upwards of $6K! But very low mile head units can be had for CHEAP these days since lots of peeps need to free up some cash! I'm deciding if I'm gonna pull the trigger on a brand new polished T-Trim Race prepped version a fellow SVT'er has for sale at more than 50% off!! With Vortechs you need to change your oil at regular intervals and don't put pullies on them that overspins it, it's all in how you take care of them!:bigthumbsup
Of course Kenne Belles and Whipples are Killer but they CRUSH your wallet!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.