Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HorsePower - Homepage | PowerBlock TV

>>HorsePower shows side-by-side installations of a supercharger and turbocharger ? both on late model muscle cars. The viewer gets to compare ease of installation, cost and performance gains to determine the winner.<<

This could be interesting for all those that are pondering different power adders.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Blower everytime... Less tuning and less problems

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would go with an SC as well, esp on a mustang, but if horsepower was my ultimate goal then a turbo set up is hard to beat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
True but, blower whine gets the b!tches wet...

·
Registered
407 Posts
The most rwhp on 5.0L cars have been centrifugal cars....:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
437 Posts
Meh, peak horsepower means very little to me if I'm trying to decide on a power adder. The power curve is much more important to me as well as reliability.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Turbos are way up on torque compared to twin screws for some weird reason.
take two steps away from the crack pipe........lol really? maybe at peak but the twin screws will make more torque through out the powerband.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sure. Go look at some dyno graphs. The whipple cars are normally about 100 ft/lb less tq than hp at peak, while the turbo cars are equal or above.

Don't get me wrong, love my whipple but I would think real hard about a turbo system if they were easier to race consistently.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I agree that turbo coyotes are making sick numbers at around 4,000rpm. I do think that the supercharger option is less of a hassle and it the option I would go with.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I put a turbo on my last car and if I had to do it over again I would do a SC. If you have the time, know how and money the turbo is a better option but so much more work. A SC gets you close to the turbo with less time money and its more reliable.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm just glad to be talking about supercharged/Turbo 5.0's some 20 years later:)

back in the day I could never afford a turbo set up and I never got around to even getting a blower.

I had a Crawford 347ci N/A 91 Notch that made around 400hp and ran mid 11 sec 1/4 mile

heck with this new 5.0 you can run that with bolt on's

add a blower or Turbo and goodnite Irene

I'm loving my Kenne Bell twinn screw the power is everywhere and it just keeps on pulling.

G

·
0 Posts
If I had an automatic I would run the turbo for consistency because it is easier to stay in the powerband and you don't have to worry about closing the throttle between shifts. For a manual trans I would go with the blower, probably centri, for throttle and boost response as it would feel closer to an N/A car.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
love my blower and the easier install of it. Its a bolt on that can be done in a whole day. Turbo systems are just a raging pita to install. Not to mention the blower is eye candy, the turbos never look very appealing under the hood. i say this cause i like performance but i also like to win trophies on the show.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Turbo will always make more power for same induction pressure and flow rate.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I don't know of any Turbo kits CARB approved. So for me. any forced induction would have to be of the whipple twin screw type. But is seems like for around town fun, that would be the way to go anyway. Can you imagine if traffic lights had a red, 3 yellows, and a green. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have seen the numbers for prochargers, superchargers and turbochargers. The turbochargers are about the same with RWHP but usually 40 - 60 RWTQ more than either procharger or supercharger with the same amount of boost on 2011 GTs. I have seen the hellion 67mm (9 lbs put up 553RWHP 603RWTQ, 15lbs put up 653RWHP and 730RWTQ). If it is sound your concerned with then you can run it through your axlebacks. You can't see the turbo through the top because it is behind the bumper which is good for a sleeper look. Also that was not running longtubes and just o/r x-pipe with GT500 axle backs.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Is on now on spike.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just watched it.. It was pretty interesting! Seems like the Hellion turbo would not be a bad install... I understand that installing the turbo would void every powertrain warranty but I would love for my car to have this power and sound......

YouTube - ‪Hellion turbo 2011 5.0 dyno at BBR‬‏

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
that was an old ass episode. i watched that over a year ago.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts