Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinioins on what supercharger would be the best and what other mods go really good with that. I am in the Marines so money is definatly an issue thanks.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Any supercharger is gonna be pretty expensive. Figure right about 6 grand all done and tuned professionally. A good centrifugal one will be the easiest to install. There are positive displacement and twin screw units available from Kenne Belle that work really really well, but they are a bit harder to tune and cost a bit more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive been reading up on them a litlle bit and from what i see pro charger makes about the best power... there test car was an 03 mustang gt with 3.73 gear, stock exhaust and 91 octane... and they ran a 11.97 i forget the mph....and this was intercooled as well. every body ive been talking to that has them seems to love it....now if only i could save the money and do it myself

·
Registered
154 Posts
With procharger it seems to be hit or miss. Some people love them other have seal leaks and belt slippage problems.

02stangin, Do you have a link to that vid? Superchargersonline.com has a vid of a procharger advertisement were a pro driver runs a low 12 I think and pretty much romps the hell out of that thing. I can't imagine somebody making a better run than that stock

·
Registered
126 Posts
ATI Procharger is the way to go WWW.Delkperformance.com has the P1SC kit with a 2 core intercooler for around $3,200. A 3 core intercooler can be had for another $200.00 . I was told by their sales rep that a 3 core intercooler and a P1SC kit would be $3,499.00. You have to buy the injectors and Mass air sensor seperate. A Vortech kit or Paxton with a intercooler or aftercooler will cost a lot more than the Procharger.

97 GT 5spd
Tremec TKO, Ram flywheel & Powergrip clutch kit, Pro 5.0 shifter, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, BBK Ceramic long tubes, BBK short x-pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks catback, SCT Xcal tuner, 13" Cobra brake kit, 17" 98 Cobra rims

PI heads swap parts on the way

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
00MustangGT said:
Opinioins on what supercharger would be the best and what other mods go really good with that. I am in the Marines so money is definatly an issue thanks.
Why dont you tell us what your budget is first.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A Vortech kit or Paxton with a intercooler or aftercooler will cost a lot more than the Procharger.

Prochargers are badass, but this is not necessarily true. Superchargers4less.com sells the complete paxton kit for $3099 (injectors, fuel pump, MAF included) and you can pick up a intercooler for about $600 ( or more depending on how much HP you need to support) from BTI and ebay. So theoretically you can have a complete S/C w/IC for about $3700-$3800. Vortechs are about +$150-$200 going throught the same companies. So prices are pretty similar, but vortech and paxton seem to be more consistant with quality in products.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Least expensive will be a non-charge-cooled centrifugual like Vortech at less than $4k on the car.
That said, it's really worth saving for a bit longer to buy a charge-cooled (intercooled, aftercooled) setup - cheaper to buy as complete kit up front rather than buying it by itself later. If want to get a cheaper boost in SOTP power now (while saving for your S/C) some 3.73's or 3.90's (didn't see those in your sig.) would help a lot.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like twin screw blowers better, they may cost a lot more but IMO they are worth it. No other blower can have great power at low and high RPMs like a twin Screw. I would look into Kennebell, Saleen, or Whipple.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Fordguy13 said:
I like twin screw blowers better, they may cost a lot more but IMO they are worth it. No other blower can have great power at low and high RPMs like a twin Screw. I would look into Kennebell, Saleen, or Whipple.
- don't disagree w/this; just talking the cheapest approach w/the Vortech.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You first need to think about where in the rpm range you want the extra power. A positive displacement blower will give instant boost around 2Krpms on up. A centrifugal charger will provide a linear boost curve with full boost arriving around 3500rpms. They both work well for their intended application. One note I must say is that most of the positive displacement blowers are limited in terms of maximum horsepower to around 450rwhp, after that they become inefficient. Most entry level centrifugals can reach well over 600rwhp before they max out. IMO, intercooling is the only way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Most Procharger kits I have seen have been a ***** to tune. I would go with a Vortech.

my .02 cents

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.