Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of supercharging my car, a bone stock '87 GT. Thing is, at some point in this car's life, some owner dropped the original tranny (probably blew it) and replaced it with a T5 NWC from an '84. I've been reading the specs on each, and torque ratings are 265 for the NWC, 300 for the WC (87 up). Factory engine output for my 87 is 300 torques, so it seems like my tranny is running at the limit already... is this right?

If I were to throw on a supercharger, would tranny hold? Since engine is completely stock, I've read I can run a max of 6psi of boost. I figure this'll be good for a gain of 70-80hp at crank. Torques I have no guestimate for.

Oh yeah, engine has 124,000mi (200,000 km). Never been rebuilt to my knowledge, but she starts up right away, doesn't smoke or leak. A seemingly strong running engine. I'll eventually do a compression test to verify, but for now she seems like a strong, well-maintained 5.0. Tranny has 1200 mi (2000 km) on it.

Good idea, bad idea?

I'd like to pickup power somehow, and a supercharger appeals to me because I don't have to change anything else, and if I want I can take it off and the car is back in stock form (seems like less effort and work). Also price is of concern too, I'd be looking to pick up a used or refurbished kit.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
a WC t5 will barely hold a stock 5.0. im surprised you havent blown that NWC sky high yet.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
pretty sure youre going to need a MAF conversion as well

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was kinda afraid someone would say those exact things you said...:shigrin
MAF was at the back of my head, but I think I've read a few articles where SC's have been thrown on SD's.

Another option I'm tihnking of doing is selling this one, saving up a bit more cash, buy a new one and start on that. I don't really want to have to go through the trouble of finding a good enough transmission and switching it... cost doesn't balance out imo.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If you took it easy it might last for a while. But if your spending the money for a supercharger your not gona take it easy!

I would plan on upgrading the trans in the future.

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
That trans will break behind a stock 5.0, it'll be a breadstick behind a supercharged engine.

As long as the engine still has good oil pressure and at least 130 psi cranking pressure in each cylinder, it should be good to go.

To put a supercharger on a speed density engine, it'd take a custom burned chip to accommodate the additional airflow and it'd cost as much (if not more) than a mass air conversion. That's usually done by those who just refuse to convert and insist on making the speed density work. It's not cost effective to go that route.

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well then, back to the drawing board for me.
Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
step one, buy a new transmission.

step two, do a MAF conversion

step three, do H/C/I

your car will be a TON more fun

·
Registered
336 Posts
For more information on the T5 check here.

Modern Driveline - T5 History in Ford Mustangs with specifications for World class and non-World class T5's

Pretty much all the early T5 transmissions were weak. The NWC and early WC T5's were only good up to around 250 hp and if you are planning on racing or putting a high torque motor on it, they break even lower. Sorry to burst any bubbles here but a lot of guys bash the NWC but until 1990 they had the same torque rating as the WC. Might wanna consider a Z-class T5. :bigthumbsup You will need to bring your high limit credit card though, they cost around $1500 new and it is not likely you are gonna find one used becuase everybody wants them. :hihi:

Robert

G

·
Does anyone know how to build horsepower anymore.....

Before slapping an S/C you need a complete rebuild....

H/C/I then the S/C......

S/C = Power Adder not power substitute....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Does anyone know how to build horsepower anymore.....

Before slapping an S/C you need a complete rebuild....

H/C/I then the S/C......

S/C = Power Adder not power substitute....

Couldn't agree more! :bigthumbsup

There is no substitute for a rock solid short block to build power on!

Most decent H/C/I combo's will make more power then a S/C on a stock motor anyway, of coarse then you won't be able to say your car is SuperCharged! :sleeping:

There is nothing worse then pushing your foot to the floor and have the parts drop out the bottom LOL :heha:

I say do it right the first time

You could almost buy a H/C/I combo and score a new trans for what you would just pay for most S/C

Robert

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was planning on buying a used SC. Spoke to a guy I know said he could find one for around $1500. Anyways, I gotta rethink my whole plan now. I figured for $1500 for an SC, it'd be the easiest way to gain 80 horses. As someone else said, I'd probably only gain 50, so it's definitely back to the drawing board...

My newest plan I think will be to save more cash, buy another 5.0, start on that. That way I can have a nice stock one, and one that tearss things up

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
I was planning on buying a used SC. Spoke to a guy I know said he could find one for around $1500. Anyways, I gotta rethink my whole plan now. I figured for $1500 for an SC, it'd be the easiest way to gain 80 horses. As someone else said, I'd probably only gain 50, so it's definitely back to the drawing board...

My newest plan I think will be to save more cash, buy another 5.0, start on that. That way I can have a nice stock one, and one that tearss things up
Good plan, buy one someone has already modded, you can save big buying someone else's money pit...make sure it's an 89+ since they came with mass air and are easier to mod...
I had a 89 5.0 coupe, with full exhaust/headers it was scary fast, add trick flow heads and intake and you better get some Depends.

G

·
Good plan, buy one someone has already modded, you can save big buying someone else's money pit...make sure it's an 89+ since they came with mass air and are easier to mod...
I had a 89 5.0 coupe, with full exhaust/headers it was scary fast, add trick flow heads and intake and you better get some Depends.
And in response........

Why buy someone else's problem.......:?:

95% of the time you have no clue of what you are buying.......:shrug

Plus you will lose the satisfaction of acomplisment.......:yup:

As i have said so many times.......

Those Who Can Build, Those Who Can't Buy.....

·
Registered
985 Posts
Id Say. Strip the block down , Have everything redone, balanced, bored, the hole 9 yards, your e7 heads are not bad, and then go with a supercharger, cuz ur not going to get ur whole performance with ur stock worn-out engine..

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And in response........

Why buy someone else's problem.......:?:

95% of the time you have no clue of what you are buying.......:shrug

Plus you will lose the satisfaction of acomplisment.......:yup:

As i have said so many times.......

Those Who Can Build, Those Who Can't Buy.....
Nope, I think 2ManyStangs has an excellent point. Picking up someone else's project and finishing it myself is a surefire way to save a ton of cash. The previous owner has all the bills and records of work and I'll be in hog heaven.

It's quite possible to pick up a lemon, but being thorough would completely eliminate that risk.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Nope, I think 2ManyStangs has an excellent point. Picking up someone else's project and finishing it myself is a surefire way to save a ton of cash. The previous owner has all the bills and records of work and I'll be in hog heaven.

It's quite possible to pick up a lemon, but being thorough would completely eliminate that risk.
Not necessarily.

My brother just bought an 87 Mustang HO engine with harness and computer. Looked legit.

Turns out it's a non-HO flat tappet cam engine.

Not a huge deal, but used you never know what you're getting.

Good luck finding someone with all the receipts.

G

·

Not necessarily.

My brother just bought an 87 Mustang HO engine with harness and computer. Looked legit.

Turns out it's a non-HO flat tappet cam engine.

Not a huge deal, but used you never know what you're getting.

Good luck finding someone with all the receipts.

I rest my case.......:smartass:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.