Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone that wants to jump in feel free. i was looking at supercharging my mustang but didnt know if it was a good idea with stock components. i also heard that past 500 hp the 4.6 will go up in smoke sooner or later. should i get forged pistons, rods, and crank? i definitely want to be safe if i do this and i want 475hp to the WHEELS. what are my options guys? and how much money will i be looking at by the time i reinforce the driveline (transmission and all) brakes and engine? thanks

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Its true, 475 rwhp is going to push the envelope of those stock internals (a little), and it will certainly be more than the rated capacity of the stock clutch and transmission (though not a LOT more than their capacity). Your rear end can handle that load.

In the end, its the USE you plan to put all that new power to that will tell the tale. If you are going to be campaigning this car at the strip week after week, pushing it to the limit, you would do well to consider a long list of companion upgrades...

But if all you are going to do is drive it on the street - in even a semi-sane and adult manner - I would think that you could do that for an indefinite period of time.

As a rule, it is abuse and bad tunes that kill engines (etc) before their time.

If she were mine (I really like those Bullits), I would put a twin-screw on her with a top flight custom tune, and upgrade the LCA's, and then see where I stood. But then, I would be driving her on the street, too.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I think you would be fine with 475rwhp as long as you have a safe dyno tune to go along with it. I wouldnt worry about forging the internals as long as you are satisfied below the 500rwhp mark. If your goal was 600rwhp then Id tell ya different. Dont get me wrong, the engine wont be bullitt proof, ya just gotta be smart with it but have some fun at the same time. Ans a +1 on a twin screw.....Kenne Bell or Whipple would be a good place to start if you are interested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.